Becky

Becky

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Lots...
  • Canada

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has some advice on preserving maps.
I work for a county government in Alberta, Canada and in our vault we have maps that are up to 100 years old. I want to be able to preserve these maps but do not know what would be the best way to go about that, there are a couple hundred maps that we have stored.
Any advice would be great.

Cheers
Becky

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello Becky,

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice on how to curate a map. However, maybe you could ask local curator. Almost every university has a special collection and someone needs to curate those documents. Furthermore every state, and I would guess province, has a library in the capital with historical documents. You could also check with museums.

Good luck,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

You could contact Archives Canada.

http://www.archivesc...lish/index.html

You could also look into having them scanned. I have seen some large flatbed document scanners that do not compromise the material being scanned (no contact).

Good luck.
Chart

loximuthal

loximuthal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • United States

You might also check out Maps-L, "an international discussion forum for Librarians dealing with cartographic information, cartographers, remote sensors, geographers, and cartomaniacs of all types." Somebody there will most certainly have some good advice for you.
Andy McIntire
US Census Bureau

Becky

Becky

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Lots...
  • Canada

Thanks for the tips :)
We plan to scan what can, so at least they are all digital.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->