3 replies to this topic

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Canada

Interesting link on the coverage maps that appear in a Verizon commercial. Telling the truth but not the whole picture with a map. Glad to see people getting worked up about maps!

Anthony Robinson

Anthony Robinson

Former Editor, CartoTalk

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Geographic Visualization, Interface Design, Evaluation, Health Geographics, Crisis Management, Visual Analytics
  • United States

Interesting link on the coverage maps that appear in a Verizon commercial. Telling the truth but not the whole picture with a map. Glad to see people getting worked up about maps!

Here's an interesting site where you can directly link to each of the major carriers coverage maps. No shortage of terrible cartographic design here - looks like each company has put some serious effort into making things look as "covered" as possible.

http://www.compare.a...tores.com/?p=10

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I look at those maps every week (in vain) hoping that 3g (or 4g) will reach my house and have found their respective cartography and web-mapping implementation rather intriguing.

On a whole I think they suck have an opportunity to improve their styles and interactivity. Do you think they build these all in-house?

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Anthony Robinson

Anthony Robinson

Former Editor, CartoTalk

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Geographic Visualization, Interface Design, Evaluation, Health Geographics, Crisis Management, Visual Analytics
  • United States

I figure they must be doing these in house, or possibly outsourcing the work to the cheapest offshore bidder. I would bet though that it's in house by the folks who manage their infrastructure, who are surely using big enterprise GIS systems to organize all their parcel data and whatnot.

It would be interesting to know whether or not the design of the maps is shaped at all by their marketing teams, since surely they would see the advantage of making things look better than they really are (and we know they're tuned in to the power of maps now that they're using them in commercials to make their arguments).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->