3 replies to this topic

mapjuice

mapjuice

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi all,

I've been playing round with various open-source tools (mainly gdal) to generate hill-shaded and colored background mapping from elevation data, and interested to get feedback on progress so far...

Here's my first attempt.

I am particularly interested in improving the colors used to tint the terrain - anyone know where to get nice hypsometric palettes from?
This will only be for web use, not print.

Thanks!

Simon

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

I am particularly interested in improving the colors used to tint the terrain - anyone know where to get nice hypsometric palettes from?

If you're using gdaldem, you could try ramp.txt, attached. I rather like this palette, it's stolen of course. I'd be interested in the results.

gdaldem filenameDEM.tif ramp.txt filename_coloured.tif

Added later: regarding your map, I like it. It's difficult to do shaded, colour relief on a map of the British Isles, where there isn't much in the way of terrain to colour or shade. Perhaps one way of proceeding would be to have smaller vertical intervals for the lower elevations, but there might be objections to this.

Regards, N.

Attached Files

• Attached File  ramp.txt   318bytes   111 downloads

Caversham, Reading, England.

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Not bad, but I'd inverse the color ramp... dark green for low elevation and lighter color for highest elevation. The earth tones of the ramp gives an impression of vegetation cover which is less dense in higher elevation thus, lighter in color...

A good start : Cross-blended Hypsometric Tints

fab

fab

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

For an easy rendering of color ramps, you can use this free graphic interface on gdaldem provided by SpacEyes3D Viewer relief tool box: SpacEyes3D Viewer

The interface uses gdaldem for the rendering but provides a real time preview for hill shading and coloring.
It also includes several hypsometric color ramps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->