2 replies to this topic

Yong

Yong

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Hong Kong

Although it's hard to say who is the best in terms of road atlas, i would like to hear about what readers thinks about road atlas in terms of design, color scheme, layout, symbology.
I've seen many and seems the design is very continent-centric.
In the states, we have american map, rand mcnally, NG. In Europe, we have A-Z, Michelin, etc.
Australia has UBD and Hema.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Canada

I think in many cases it is what you prefer. In Canada there is Perly's, Canadian Cartographics and MapArt. The latter 2 are similar in that they use a double line streets; Perly's uses single lined streets. Arguments can be made for either. I prefer the double lined streets myself. But to see that one road atlas is better than others would require a careful review of everything available.

And so much of it is local. Perly's, for instance, only produces a Toronto book. Some other cities in Canada are also serviced by local map companies (e.g. Sherlock in Winnipeg and Calgary).

My question is to you is - why do want to know? If you are looking to produce your own and want to be the best, buy a number from around the world and see what you like and what works.

In my own experience, many users don't really care as long as the content is up to date and readable.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

A road atlas for a country or city? Is this for print or web?
I would select the design that works for a given area (euro look for europe, US scheme for US, etc.) or design your own.
Again, not knowing your needs and intentions, its hard to offer better advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->