6 replies to this topic

eendrulat

eendrulat

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Hello,

I developed a fairly simple base map for use in web mapping applications. The only 'live' app that is currently displaying this map is here.

I'm interested in getting any feedback as far as the general clarity, effectiveness, etc. I'm aware of some problems, namely symbolization of streets when you get down to scales below 1:24,000, and know there's plenty of work here to keep me busy.

Any suggestions/advise would be much appreciated!

Thank you,
Erik

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hi Erik, Thanks for sharing. I like the app - How did you make it?

In terms of the basemap, the map needs a legend.
I didn't like the symbology - red dots and icons - they seemed jarring and blurry.
Maybe something more subdued.

I like the pie chart and pop up behaviors, personally.

The street level is OK. Do users NEED to navigate or actually go to street level? Wasn't clear on the need for 2-3 scale levels.

Lastly, would be nice to have a drop down list of counties - for quick zoom in and stats on a given county.

Well done!! Keep us posted of you work!

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Nice map Erik. Good work! I like what you have done and can only offer a few nit-picky comments. I think I would use a different font at the medium-scales and at the large scales I noticed a significant alignment problem between the local street and highway layers. Also, the Graduated "Recover Logo" is a bit fuzzy (low resolution), but that might be out of your scope. Since you are showing glaciers - it would be nice to see some shaded relief or elevation tinting as well.

I am interested in the different roles and responsibilities of the team on this ARRA project. Did you need to learn Flex or did someone else on the team take care of that?

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Overall this is well done work.

Building flash maps with dashboards is not an easy task. In order for it to be successful it takes various levels of expertise. Cartographer(s), Interface designer(s), and programmer(s). This TEAM approach is IMO overlooked for a lot of these type of projects.

Your projects lacks a bit in the cartographic aspects.
-Some maps features elements should be generalized for the middle range zoom levels. (e.g political boundaries).
-Numerical scales don't work for screen displays. Zoom levels cannot be associated with a scale value (e.g. 1: 100 000 is not correct because of screen resolution variations.) I would suggest using a floating graphic scale bar.
-I would and test line width display at various screen resolutions.
-The use of blue for Interstate Highways is not a 'classic' choice but it does not look bad.
-I would work the colors. There ok, but you would be surprise how choosing a good color scheme helps. (it add a professional and unique touch).

As for Interface design.
I think the icons need to displayed at a greater resolution.
In today's interfaces, users expect some sort of zoom window tool when it comes to maps.
edit: Callouts should point INSIDE for elements on the right edge.

As for programming ... this is not in my league.
However it would be nice to find a way to account for the numerous conflicts between labels and the thematic overlays.

Again nice work, and I hope that Cartotalker's comments will help.

Regards,
Chart

eendrulat

eendrulat

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Thanks much for the feedback.

First off, I didn't make this map application per say. I made some fairly minor customizations to the interface of a Flex map template available from ESRI's excellent ArcGIS Server API resource center, and designed the base maps and services (e.g., geocoding) that the application uses. I'm sorry that I didn't make this clear in my initial post, there was a lot of work that ESRI development folks put into this effort, and I certainly don't want to take credit for their work!

I agree that there's a bit of information overload between the red dots (project locations) and the graduated symbols representing the proportion of money each county receives. There is a lot of work still with the general map interface that needs to be worked on. Great idea on the zoom-to county idea, i'll have to work on that.

Thanks again!

Hi Erik, Thanks for sharing. I like the app - How did you make it?

In terms of the basemap, the map needs a legend.
I didn't like the symbology - red dots and icons - they seemed jarring and blurry.
Maybe something more subdued.

I like the pie chart and pop up behaviors, personally.

The street level is OK. Do users NEED to navigate or actually go to street level? Wasn't clear on the need for 2-3 scale levels.

Lastly, would be nice to have a drop down list of counties - for quick zoom in and stats on a given county.

Well done!! Keep us posted of you work!

eendrulat

eendrulat

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Matthew,

Thanks for the feedback! As I mentioned in the reply above (and regretfully not in the initial email), I wasn't responsible for the design of the map template, I simply made some customizations to the Flex application and developed the base maps.

I know there are problems with the roads symbology, I need to adjust the scale dependencies for the different road datasets to fix this. I like the idea of adding a shaded relief overlay, I think I will ad d this in my next iteration.

I have picked up some Flex skills for this project, luckily I had a good template to start with since I'm the only GIS guy involved with the state ARRA team.

Nice map Erik. Good work! I like what you have done and can only offer a few nit-picky comments. I think I would use a different font at the medium-scales and at the large scales I noticed a significant alignment problem between the local street and highway layers. Also, the Graduated "Recover Logo" is a bit fuzzy (low resolution), but that might be out of your scope. Since you are showing glaciers - it would be nice to see some shaded relief or elevation tinting as well.

I am interested in the different roles and responsibilities of the team on this ARRA project. Did you need to learn Flex or did someone else on the team take care of that?

eendrulat

eendrulat

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Thanks for your helpful feedback, I will certainly keep you're comments in mind when working on v.2.

Overall this is well done work.

Building flash maps with dashboards is not an easy task. In order for it to be successful it takes various levels of expertise. Cartographer(s), Interface designer(s), and programmer(s). This TEAM approach is IMO overlooked for a lot of these type of projects.

Your projects lacks a bit in the cartographic aspects.
-Some maps features elements should be generalized for the middle range zoom levels. (e.g political boundaries).
-Numerical scales don't work for screen displays. Zoom levels cannot be associated with a scale value (e.g. 1: 100 000 is not correct because of screen resolution variations.) I would suggest using a floating graphic scale bar.
-I would and test line width display at various screen resolutions.
-The use of blue for Interstate Highways is not a 'classic' choice but it does not look bad.
-I would work the colors. There ok, but you would be surprise how choosing a good color scheme helps. (it add a professional and unique touch).

As for Interface design.
I think the icons need to displayed at a greater resolution.
In today's interfaces, users expect some sort of zoom window tool when it comes to maps.
edit: Callouts should point INSIDE for elements on the right edge.

As for programming ... this is not in my league.
However it would be nice to find a way to account for the numerous conflicts between labels and the thematic overlays.

Again nice work, and I hope that Cartotalker's comments will help.

Regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->