• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Nexis

Nexis

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Canada

Hi
I'm a new hobbyist and I need a little technical help. I'm making a fantasy map but am having a bit of a dilemma as to how to orient my compass rose. The island I am mapping is several degrees south of the equatorial line and I want to place the rose to point true north. I'm using a equal area style so the north south lines curve around the map. Now am I correct in my assumption in that the north point of the rose will align in a straight line to the north pole? Or will it follow the north south lines? Or will it just point straight up to the top of the map? Or am I just whistling at ducks?

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • United States

If the north/south lines curve then a compass rose is not going to be correct for the map as a whole. Grid north follows the lines. Depending on how much the lines curve you might be able to get away with a single compass rose placed on intersecting grid lines. Or you might try placing several compass roses on intersecting north/south lines and east/west lines around the map, oriented to point along the north/south lines. The network of lines is called a graticule.
Another option I've seen on old maps is just to label the general direction on the map border (north, south, east, west labels on the map frame).
Again, it depends on how great the curvature of the graticule is.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Nexis

Nexis

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Canada

If the north/south lines curve then a compass rose is not going to be correct for the map as a whole. Grid north follows the lines. Depending on how much the lines curve you might be able to get away with a single compass rose placed on intersecting grid lines. Or you might try placing several compass roses on intersecting north/south lines and east/west lines around the map, oriented to point along the north/south lines. The network of lines is called a graticule.
Another option I've seen on old maps is just to label the general direction on the map border (north, south, east, west labels on the map frame).
Again, it depends on how great the curvature of the graticule is.

Thanks for the reply. Ok as I understand it if I have a well marked graticule and the maps don't change orientation off north than a rose is not needed? If so fine (too bad though as the one I made is real nice).
What about compass rose as decoration? Or will that just confuse people?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->