Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Training
  • France

Hello everybody,

I'm a new member and I live in France.

I would like to obtain informations about a taiwanese product called SuperGIS (http://www.supergeotek.com/ ). I'm very interested by this product. I have just download and tried an evaluation of this product on my pc, but i was very surprized by the design of this desktop application.

More precisely, Supergis and Arcmap (an ESRI product) are very similar (design, functionalities ...).

That's the reason why i would like to have further informations about SuperGis. (illegal copy of ArcMap or official product with all international licenses and authorizations ???). I don't want to create a polemistic subject but just take a decision to buy or not this product ...

Thank you very much ;) ,
Best regards

ps: sorry for my level in english :-)

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

It looks exactly like ArcGIS, even the extensions have the same name. This might just be ArcGIS reverse engineered by SuperGeo, which I suppose would make it legal although unethical. It might also be a product built using ArcEngine which would also explain the look and feel being so similar, also being legal as ESRI would receive money from this product.

Seems to good to be true, given the price.

French cartographer

French cartographer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Training
  • France

Thank you for your answer. Do you know organizations or consultants who use this application in Europe, North america or Australia?

On the website of Supergeo, i can't see examples of customers outside Taïwan (Taiwan National Geographic Association, Ching Yun University ...). But i can notice that OGC is a strategic partner and Supergeo has resellers in Asia ...

It's a very strange situation ?

It would be interesting to know the position of Supergeo concerning the resemblance between Supergis and ArcMap ...
If their softwares are legals and "ethicals", we should have an answer from their customer service ....

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

This may be of interest
http://www10.giscafe...ection=Magazine

Cheers.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Hum could ESRI run out SuperGIS by scanning for copyright violations?

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Hum could ESRI run out SuperGIS by scanning for copyright violations?

"ArcGIS Engine is a collection of Geographic Information System components and developer resources that can be embedded, allowing you to add dynamic mapping and GIS capabilities to existing applications or build new custom mapping applications."

They could have used ArcEngine to build an intire ArcGIS-like GIS instead of a simple custom application. ESRI should have royalties in that case.

SuperGeo

SuperGeo

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Taiwan

Hi Everyone,

This is Sarah Liu from SuperGeo Technologies. Thanks for all your attention and discussion. We would like to respond to the above questions.

The Research & Development Team at SuperGeo was established in October 2002. All of our software products are researched and designed by SuperGeo R&D team and we own the copyrights and accompanying documentation.

Within 7 years, we have SELF-developed mobile GIS (SuperPad), Desktop (SuperGIS), WebGIS (SuperWebGIS), and GIS SW Objects (SuperObjects). We are now working on Enterprise server software and the report at GISCafe in the above reply just mentioned one of the server products. All of our R&D and product launching processes are, of course, legal and ethical. We hereby clarify the relevant issues.

In many Asian countries, especially in Taiwan where IT is well-developed, users are always seeking for technical solutions that not only fulfill user requests but also target at reasonable price. SuperGIS series software was developed under this concept. You can see our price is highly competitive and SuperGIS has been marketed to many countries. We also have clients from France who may become our reseller soon.

If you’d like to know more about us, please refer to the following links showing the reports and interview by several geospatial media.

‘Emerging GIS Software Provider’, by GIM International: http://www.gim-inter...e_Provider.html

Mobile GIS Development With SuperGIS Mobile, by GEO:connexion:
http://www.geoconnex..._issue/May_2009

GISCafe interview during INTERGEO 2009:
http://www10.giscafe...d_display=29290

We are trying very hard to develop better software for clients all over the world. The price is a critical issue during economic downturn so we lower it in order to serve more people. It is GOOD and it is TRUE. : ) We have met numerous users and companies who are looking for GIS alternative solutions and they think we can provide what they demand for.

Welcome to contact us if you need further information or clarification.

Many thanks and Best regards,

Sarah Liu,
SuperGeo Technologies Inc.
www.supergeotek.com
sarahliu@supergeotek.com

SuperGeo

SuperGeo

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Taiwan

Dear all,

SuperGeo recently confirmed the exclusive reseller contract with a French company, CERENE Services. Just like to let you know since the part was talked before.

The press release can be found at http://www.supergeot...=Company&ID=611

Thanks for reading this.

Darren Rattai

Darren Rattai

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Canada

Hmmm...

I want to add spatial analyst to my ArcView package, but am not pumped on the idea of spending $4000 (Canada) to do so.

Does SuperGeo Desktop have this functionality? What about 3D outputs for raster data?

SuperGeo

SuperGeo

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Taiwan

Hmmm...

I want to add spatial analyst to my ArcView package, but am not pumped on the idea of spending $4000 (Canada) to do so.

Does SuperGeo Desktop have this functionality? What about 3D outputs for raster data?

Yes SuperGeo has Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst for these requests with equivalent functions and much lower prices) . Please see http://www.supergeot...oduct_list.aspx

We just released the French version of SuperPad 3, the full-function mobile GIS software.

Sorry to replying late... hope this helps!

Sarah (sarahliu@supergeotek.com)

Derek Cater

Derek Cater

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hello

I'm a new forum member; I'm an archaeological consultant working in the UK who needs to run a GIS and needs to produce fairly basic maps for archaeological reports and Environmental Impact Assessments.

Are any forum members using SuperGIS Desktop 3? If so, are you pleased with it? Has it proved to be stable in sustained use? Is technical support prompt and good?

I am trialling it and am generally impressed. I have worked with faster GIS software, but its map layout tools seem intuitive and fairly comprehensive. Given my basic data-handling and cartographic requirements, SuperGIS Desktop 3 seems to tick most of the boxes.

But does it meet with the approval and satisfaction of more accomplished forum members than me?

Many thanks for any experiences or opinions regarding this software you are able to share.

Regards

Derek

GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

Derek - I'm sure SuperGeo is a fine product, but I think you need to look beyond the basic capabilities of the product. Many years ago, I suggested using M### GIS to a local archaeologist. The choice was based more on cost, than the overall functionality of the software. He was fine for the first few months, but quickly discovered it was more difficult to share projects, mapping techniques, etc. with his colleagues that were using a more “mainstream” GIS software package. Like others, he also grew tired of the support model from M### GIS and lack of industry specific user groups. While he may have saved some cash up front, the longer term expense prompted him to go with the mainstream GIS solution. If he was a true GIS Power User, I think M### GIS would have been fine. When evaluating software, look beyond the initial costs and evaluate the broader resources available. You pay more for the mainstream GIS product, but you also get tremendous resources that can equate to time saved and more money earned as a consultant. Don’t be pennywise, pound foolish. SuperGeo might be the product for you, but make sure you evaluate the full picture.

Derek Cater

Derek Cater

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United Kingdom

Many thanks for such a considered reply, PetroGIS.

I'm on the horns of the dilemma that you describe. I bought MapMaker Pro 3.5 & Manifold GIS in 2008. For various reasons (principally its inability to open the dxf files I had to work with, the restrictive form of the licence agreement at a time I was experiencing initially undiagnosed motherboard problems, and the unfriendly tone of the company communications when I anticipated needing much hand-holding) I never got on with Manifold. I really liked MapMaker Pro 3.5, but it tended to balk at large datasets and large rasters. So I decided to look elsewhere. I have been running TatukGIS (with the fGIS customization) for the past year and have enjoyed doing so. But TatukGIS is focussed upon data analysis rather than map production, while my map-making needs exceed by data-management requirements by an order of magnitude.

I very much like the thought of buying an industry-standard GIS, for all the reasons you give. My options here (given my field of operation) would be MapInfo and ArcGIS. In the UK, MapInfo is £2,000 including purchase tax. ESRI UK do not publish prices online and I have emailed them to enquire, but I believe it is at least twice the price of MapInfo. Now I do not not want to be penny pinching, but in these very uncertain times, I dare not sink the equivalent of two and a half or five monthly mortgage payments on my house on software that is a bit of a luxury. So when I read in this thread that SuperGIS was almost identical to ArcGIS, I thought my prayers may have been answered.

But I suppose if it looks too good to be true...

Many regards

Derek

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

There's a special offer on ArcView and ArcEditor for IMTA members, well worth joining the IMTA for.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Derek Cater

Derek Cater

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hans, many thanks for the heads up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users