2 replies to this topic

Amy Cohen

Amy Cohen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

Hello! I'm currently working on an interactive web map for the Everglades Foundation, where I'm a GIS intern. It's at a somewhat presentable stage, and I could use some feedback as I continue working on it. I would appreciate any thoughts and advice.

The map is being developed using ArcGIS, Adobe Flex, ActionScript 3.0, the Google Maps API for Flash, and XML. One problem in particular that I've been running into is that my image overlays don't line up exactly with Google Maps. I'm using the Mercator projection, which I read is the projection used by Google; however, there are still alignment issues.

Here's the link to the map: The Everglades Explorer

Best regards,

Amy

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Amy,

Looks neat!

One problem in particular that I've been running into is that my image overlays don't line up exactly with Google Maps. I'm using the Mercator projection, which I read is the projection used by Google; however, there are still alignment issues.

The Google Mercator projection is EPSG:900913, close to but not the same as Mercator. This might be a cause for the misalignment. Another one may be the fact that the projection of an old map may not be known and the georeferencing may therefore be slightly off. You'd have to judge this on a case by case basis. Finally, it's also possible that Google's imagery is slightly off :rolleyes:
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

jrat

jrat

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • United States

That is very cool. Have you experimented with adding transparency to the old map so users can see the development that has occured within the historic boundary of the everglades? Or possibly a swipe tool?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->