8 replies to this topic

relaing

relaing

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Canada

Hello
Here is a sample of a status map we use in search and rescue. I have only been working with ArcGIS desktop 9.3 for a couple of months (self-taught), so I am still learning.
These types of maps need to be created rather quickly, so there is not a lot of time for some of the niceties seen in other maps. That being said, they still have to be clear and show the information required, much the same as a Fire Incident map.
Comments and criticisms welcomed!

Rick

Richard Laing
Team Manager,
Ridge Meadows Search and Rescue
Attached File  Hope_sar.jpg   863.34KB   189 downloads

klacefield

klacefield

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • United States

Since GPS is a widely used tool for SAR I would recommend adding a coordinate grid to the map. Our Sheriff's Dept has made this request for some of the maps we do for them. On our Fire Run Book we also have the coordinates for the helo zones, per a request from the fire personnel.

To add a grid simply go into the data frame properties, then the Grids tab. The New Grid button will take you through a wizard for creating the grid.
Kevin Lacefield, GIS Programmer Analyst
County of Sonoma
Information Systems Department - GIS Central

Dustin Edge

Dustin Edge

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Australia

Hi Richard

I agree.....a grid showing coordinates will definitely help.

For your contours, you want to symbolise index contours with a thicker line or color.
Its not too hard to create a field in your attribute table to differentiate index contours from everything else. (two-step process using Select by Attributes & Field Calculator)

Other than that....the map is easy on the eye and works well.....

Cheers

Dustin
Kind Regards,

Dustin

Dustin Edge
Snr GIS Analyst
AECOM Australia

relaing

relaing

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Canada

Doh! In my haste I forgot to include the grid. I have been playing around with the Attributes and Field calculator but haven't been overly happy with my results (yet).

It took me awhile to figure out label placement weights and such, but I think I have a better understanding of it.

In the tables for helipads/bases/clues/repeaters etc, I have included fields for lat/long, UTM, altitude and descriptions. I was thinking the map might get too cluttered if I included all that info on the map itself. Do you find that the case?

Thanks for the critiques and replies.

Rick

klacefield

klacefield

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • United States

We have handled the cluttered map issue in a few different ways. For the run book we just list off lat/long and only for the helipads. However, in other cases we have included a lookup table for these locations. This table is included in the layout of the map (if space allows) or on a separate page (if the map will not allow a table to be added). Basically as you already know, put the absolute necessary information on the map for the operation at hand and make the additional information as easily accessible as possible.
Kevin Lacefield, GIS Programmer Analyst
County of Sonoma
Information Systems Department - GIS Central

relaing

relaing

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Canada

We have handled the cluttered map issue in a few different ways. For the run book we just list off lat/long and only for the helipads. However, in other cases we have included a lookup table for these locations. This table is included in the layout of the map (if space allows) or on a separate page (if the map will not allow a table to be added). Basically as you already know, put the absolute necessary information on the map for the operation at hand and make the additional information as easily accessible as possible.

Excellent idea! I am currently working on a team map where I can incorporate that quite easily. For the status maps, I can see putting it on a separate page.

Thanks!

Rick

E Nile

E Nile

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United States

It is good to do this type of work when there isn't an active need, you will end up with a better product.

In addition to the lat/long graticule & location table I would suggest a couple of things:
1) The date & time the map was produced
2) The time period for which it is valid (I can't tell if that would be in the operational period line or not)
3) The magnetic declination angle, including the year the angle was calculated

Are the green squares and red circles standard SAR symbology? Generally red would be a hazard and green safety features. For aerial hazards the US sectionals use purple.

angel.spatial

angel.spatial

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Here is my two cents...

I would recommend removing the word "Map" from the title and center the title with the base map. I think people understand that it is a map and are more interested in what the map contains.

Also, go ahead and remove "Legend" from the legend and either replace it with something that adds information to the overall look and feel or leave the legend without a title.

Hopefully this helps, other than that and the comments already made, the map is looking good.
Share/collaborate GIS data for FREE: data.almostaccurate.com

relaing

relaing

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Canada

Green Palolo - you're right, I would hate to be trying these things out under the pressure of an actual mission. The time values are good suggestions as is the declination. The symbols are standardized according to a few files that I have seen but you are correct - it would seem to go against common sense that a green symbol would indicate a hazard.

Angel - sometimes the obvious is not that obvious! You're correct, everyone knows that it is a map and and an index - I will remove them.

Thanks again for all the input.

Rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->