5 replies to this topic

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Canada

We have a number of map files of cities and towns in Illustrator. The smaller communities are fine but the larger cities get have become very large files. As the files get larger, they are slower to open and seem to be more prone to errors and corruption. I would like to be able to split the files so that they can be joined up seamlessly either in Illustrator or InDesign with as little overlap as possible. What would be the easiest and most efficient way of doing this?

cera

cera

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Yugoslavia

I think you could place that ai in InDesign part by part and that way you'll have whole region in one indd file. You place a whole ai file and set your frame to size that suits you. Hope this is not very confusing :)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

The MAPublisher Vector Crop tool would be very useful in this situation. It works way better than the Illustrator tools (clipping mask) for that. Simply save your document, crop 1st region, save as, undo, crop 2nd region, save as, and so on.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Canada

The MAPublisher Vector Crop tool would be very useful in this situation. It works way better than the Illustrator tools (clipping mask) for that. Simply save your document, crop 1st region, save as, undo, crop 2nd region, save as, and so on.

So this would save the tiles as separate layered files, clipped to an edge?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

So this would save the tiles as separate layered files, clipped to an edge?

Yes, all layers and MAPublisher attributes are retained. Objects are actually cropped, instead of masked out so the resulting files are 'lighter'. It has to be done manually though, and for now it doesn't seem to want to snap to guides or a grid.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Canada

I think you could place that ai in InDesign part by part and that way you'll have whole region in one indd file. You place a whole ai file and set your frame to size that suits you. Hope this is not very confusing :)

We do regularly place AI files in Illustrator and tile them. What I want to do is break them up in Illustrator so they are smaller and easier to work with. I would then bring them into Indesign and have them butt up against each other so they would appear seamless. I find that the larger files start becoming problematic - errors, corruptions and generally are slower and more cumbersome to work with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->