Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Hello All,

I am posting a question regarding digitizing in ArcMap, especially when you try to digitize across the "box" and ArcMap cause it to re-draw to out of bounds.

I created a new shapefile or geodatabase with a projection in it and add it to ArcMap and start with Editor.

I wanted to see if there is a way to prevent it from happening again. If you use Quantaum GIS, it does not do that.

I have attachment with it for you to see it. I also post this question in the ESRI discussion forum too.

Thanks,
Robert

Attached Files

Dustin Edge

Dustin Edge

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Australia

Hi Robert

Judging by the screenshot, I'd say its because the coordinate system hasn't been set in the Data Frame properties. And neither are the units set. To keep digitising features that are off-screen, you can use the shortcut key of C while editing to keep panning across...

Hope this helps...

Dustin
Kind Regards,

Dustin

Dustin Edge
Snr GIS Analyst
AECOM Australia

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Hi Robert

Judging by the screenshot, I'd say its because the coordinate system hasn't been set in the Data Frame properties. And neither are the units set. To keep digitising features that are off-screen, you can use the shortcut key of C while editing to keep panning across...

Hope this helps...

Dustin

Are you saying that if the shapefile or geodatabase already has a projection, but do I need to set the Data Frame properties needed to be set the coordinate system and units set, too ? If the layer already has a projection and ArcMap should be able to read it and set it automically ?

Thanks,
Robert

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

From my experience if you start the ArcMap with a new map option and then add a shape file, the map frame automatically takes the coordinate system of the shape file. So why should one select it, it should be by default. Well this is while working on 9.2....

Hi Robert

Hope this helps...

Dustin

Are you saying that if the shapefile or geodatabase already has a projection, but do I need to set the Data Frame properties needed to be set the coordinate system and units set, too ? If the layer already has a projection and ArcMap should be able to read it and set it automically ?

Thanks,
Robert

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • United States

While it's true ArcMap will automatically set the coordinate system to match the first data layer with a defined CS added to the map, that screenshot doesn't even show any data in the TOC, just "Layers", which is the default data frame name. But that's beside the point.

Anyway, when I'm digitizing and need to continue past the screen I use the C shortcut key Dustin mentioned to pan the view, rather than let ArcMap pan automatically. It gives you more control over the panning and doesn't interrupt your digitizing.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

While it's true ArcMap will automatically set the coordinate system to match the first data layer with a defined CS added to the map, that screenshot doesn't even show any data in the TOC, just "Layers", which is the default data frame name. But that's beside the point.

Anyway, when I'm digitizing and need to continue past the screen I use the C shortcut key Dustin mentioned to pan the view, rather than let ArcMap pan automatically. It gives you more control over the panning and doesn't interrupt your digitizing.

Everyone: Thanks. Sorry about the graphic i drew. I was in hurry yesterday. I'll keep that in mind about the C shortcut.

Robert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->