• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

David Kendall

David Kendall

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Canada

Hello everyone! I was directed to this place from Dale Sanderson, who I assume is a member here and needs no introduction, after fawning over his map geek site. I too am a map geek from way back in childhood (the carefully chosen quote for my signature could have been me growing up, me playing the part of "Niles"). I was, honest to God, the only kid in my grade 4 class who wanted to grow up to be a cartographer (and I even used that term for it). Now, 30-odd years later, I'm not a cartographer but am finding myself needing new employment soon, so was hoping to find out more about how to break into this wonderful field (but I assume that should be saved for the employment threads).

Anyways, such is me for now, jsut so you're not wondering who is that strange Canuck and why is he posting on our boards?

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi and welcome!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Welcome Dave! Lots of pro cartographers here to share thoughts with!

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Canada

Hello everyone! I was directed to this place from Dale Sanderson, who I assume is a member here and needs no introduction, after fawning over his map geek site. I too am a map geek from way back in childhood (the carefully chosen quote for my signature could have been me growing up, me playing the part of "Niles"). I was, honest to God, the only kid in my grade 4 class who wanted to grow up to be a cartographer (and I even used that term for it). Now, 30-odd years later, I'm not a cartographer but am finding myself needing new employment soon, so was hoping to find out more about how to break into this wonderful field (but I assume that should be saved for the employment threads).

Anyways, such is me for now, jsut so you're not wondering who is that strange Canuck and why is he posting on our boards?

The story of my life too . . . always liked maps when I was a kid, even drew my own atlas but never ever thought of it as a career or a job. Went to university, got a BA in psychology, worked in social work for 7 years until I needed a change. Went back to school, got my training and became a cartographer. Now work for a private mapping company leading the cartography section.

There's still time for a career change. I went back to school at age 30! You can still do it!

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

FYI - I will share some information I received when I asked the esteemed cartographer Stuart Allen advice on how I should prepare myself for the field of cartography.

Without skipping a beat - he instantly replied "Marry someone rich." :lol:

Welcome to Cartotalk!

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

David Kendall

David Kendall

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Canada

FYI - I will share some information I received when I asked the esteemed cartographer Stuart Allen advice on how I should prepare myself for the field of cartography.

Welcome to Cartotalk!

Ah, cartographer humour, gotta love it! (I also have performed standup comedy for many years (no map jokes, way too esoteric for your typical comedy club crowd) and was told that's the way to succeed in comedy too. ;) ) Unfortunately, too late to marry someone rich too, but the one I did marry, while not rich, and is in similar employment boat to me, has many many other tangible qualities that more than make up for that. ;)

And rudy, yes there may still be time (I'm 37, btw, so a little older than you were), but there's the dual problems of me not being married to someone rich ;) and I don't know if there are pertinent courses offered in Winnipeg (might be, but unsure to be honest) - don't want to move the family unless I *really* have to ...

Thanks everyone for your welcomes and advice, I definitely will enjoy myself here (well, to be honest, you had me at the word "cartography" ;) )

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Welcome to Cartotalk!

or 'don't quit your day job'!

or the classic axiom of the ivory tower: 'publish or perish'

Boundary Maven

Boundary Maven

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • United States

Welcome! There are lots of ways to get into mapmaking, not all of them requiring an advanced degree. I'm a bit older than you, and I'm finding there are tons of resources out there for learning the rudiments of GIS (udig, Qgis, GRASS - all with great tutorials) as well as map design. There are probably online classes, as well. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll succeed!

s hubbard

s hubbard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Altitude..Archery..Alaska..Appalachia..Apothecary..Asiana
  • United States

Welcome to Cartotalk!

exactly!! he said the same thing to me recently.....

'a good spouse with means, and be working on a map everyday.
if it's a map you think somebody somewhere might like, then keep making it/them'

raven maps and stuart's work are the pinnacle to me.
s hubbard
www.hubbardmapworks.com
2539'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->