• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Hi!

I asked a question on ESRI's MappingCenter about how I could copy a Representation from a feature class to another, but their answer don't entirely works... I have to to a join and then copy a blob field to another which is impossible...

I've been in contact with someone from ESRI about that about a week ago and since then, nothing... I know it was NACIS annual meeting this weekend, but I'm about to start something that will take about a month and a half to do and if at the end, I can't copy my representation, I'll be in trouble...

Anyone know how I could copy the Override field from a feature class with representation to a copy of the same feature class?

Thanks!!!

graveldraw

graveldraw

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • United States

I use perl scripts to alter BLOBs in geodatabases. If you just want a blob field copied from one database to another database, I think I can do this for you. Would it be possible to send an example to test?
Send to: graveldraw@hotmail.com
I need to know which database/field(s) to copy, which database/table/field to copy to, and how to join.

Best,
Dan

Hi!

I asked a question on ESRI's MappingCenter about how I could copy a Representation from a feature class to another, but their answer don't entirely works... I have to to a join and then copy a blob field to another which is impossible...

I've been in contact with someone from ESRI about that about a week ago and since then, nothing... I know it was NACIS annual meeting this weekend, but I'm about to start something that will take about a month and a half to do and if at the end, I can't copy my representation, I'll be in trouble...

Anyone know how I could copy the Override field from a feature class with representation to a copy of the same feature class?

Thanks!!!

ceicher

ceicher

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • United States

Hi Francois,

After seeing your question and reading the Mapping Center thread, I have 1 comment and 2 ideas.

First, the comment. This should be possible.... now only to find out how.

Next, the ideas:

1. I first thought about the GP tool "Update Override"

http://webhelp.esri....e_(Cartography)

(Update Override details)
... there is a possible workflow here, but it may be more complicated than you need.

Basic idea: The tool lets you move override field (BLOB) values to explicit fields. If you have a bunch of "stuff" in the override field, then you should : a) make a copy of your feat class (for safety!), B) change the rep field mappings, c) run the tool. d) afterwards values are moved into fields (if you changed the mappings), then e) because all your values are in regular fields now (attributes are in attribute fields, geometry was sent to the SHAPE field...), then you can easily create a copy of that feature class and define a new rep class which uses values in those new fields...

2. It could be much more simple. Have you worked with the Distributed Geodatabase toolbar in ArcMap? There you find the Extract Data button. You can use this to create a copy of a feature class. If the feature class has representations, it is no problem. Extract Data supports everything in the Geodatabase.

I am very curious and would like to help. Tell me if either of these ideas get you closer to a solution.

If you are still stuck, I would ask you

-What kind of overrides are in your BLOB field. Do you know? shape overrides? Free reps?
-Why are you trying to copy a representation from featClassA to featClassB? Can you write down the workflow that you are following which got you to this question?

Best regards and good luck,

-Cory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->