- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

ohiosurfer

ohiosurfer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Is there any way to determine which transformation was used when a feature class was projected from WGS84 to NAD83?

Is it stored in the metadata? Everything has been done in ArcGIS.

Thanks for your help.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Did you check the metadata? The trail of processing should be stored in the metadata in ArcGIS, not sure to what extent though...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

ohiosurfer

ohiosurfer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

You're right, the transformation used is stored as a "Process" under the "ESRI geoprocessing history".

I was able to see this in a sample dataset, but not in the actual data. Is it possible to delete a "Process" in the metadata?

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Sweden

It will - of course - not be carried over if one doesn't copy the metadata with the actual data. I think there might also be some operations that don't register.
If you did this operation, have you checked the history toolbox?

Sometimes I miss the 'log' file that is in all ArcInfo workstation workspaces...
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

I am not sure what you mean but I've played it around in the past by cleaning it up the ESRI geoprocessing history.

You can do it by right click on the personal or file geodatabase's context menu and go to Export XML Workspace Document.
Just uncheck on Export Metadata. That will not display the ESRI geoprocessing history and will create a new one.

Then on the same geodatabase, do the same thing by bring back it in the geodatabase or create a new geodatabase.
Use the Import XML Workspace Document.

If this is what you were looking for.

Good Luck,
Robert

ohiosurfer

ohiosurfer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Thank you both for your input. :) I believe this was an issue of the metadata not being copied.

Frax, I was unaware of the existence of the log file. Perhaps I can make use of it in the future.

Robert, I'll keep your tricks in mind if I ever have to clean-up metadata. Metadata is definitely a topic I would like to be more familiar with and this experience demonstrated why.

Thanks again!

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Sweden

Note that that the log file applies to operations from ArcInfo workstation AND for grids - I just found out - I was able to retrieve the operation to create an ArcInfo grid, in the grid's folder (the grids reside in an ArcInfo workspace, even if they were created using the standard modern ArcGIS tools).

I wouldn't be suprised if there is some kind of log/history in geodatabases, by the way.
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->