kay

kay

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Canada

Hello, cartographers!

Today I would like to ask you about pros and cons of using font managing application... There are so many fonts in my computer now... I know that many people use font managing softwares. I have been mentioning "font managing software" but to be honest, I do not know what any "font managing software" does.

Does anybody here use any font managing software? If so, would you mind sharing your experiences of pros and cons of using the font managing softwares? Also, how does the application work? Is it like a plugin or a stand-alone application? I am wondering whether or not it is worth purchasing a font managing software. Before considering the purchasing, I wanted to research a bit of this and thought that this would be a great place to ask about this many experienced cartographers.

Thank you so much for your help in advance!!

Happy thanksgiving to Canadian folks! :)

Kay

cera

cera

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Yugoslavia

I am using a font managing software because I am working lots of graphic design and need many different fonts. Font managing app allows me to turn on or off fonts as I need them. That way I have less fonts in font menus of applications I am working with which allows me faster work. Also programs runs faster if there aren't hundreds of fonts activated and font managing app allows you to turn off those you might not need for a specific project. I very much like font managers and am used to them. Don't know what I would do without them, really :)

If you only do maps I suppose you don't need font manager since fonts you are using are almost always the same no more then 10 fonts.

I have Font Reserve because I am used to it but Suitcase is almost the same thing. I prefer managers from Extensis since they are in the business for a long time.

There are no cons of font managers, the question is do you need them.

kay

kay

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Canada

Hi, cera. Thank you for your comments!
I did not know that you can turn on/off the fonts with font managing app. That is actually interesting because I have like 200 fonts on my computer... That may be handy to have... :)

Thanks again!
Kay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->