16 replies to this topic

BTN123

BTN123

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi All,

I am attempting a project using ArcGIS to simulate a number of sea level rise scenarios on a coastal location. I am looking to create output maps for differing levels of inundation, e.g. a 0.5m rise, 1m rise, etc. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out as to how I would go about doing so? What data do I need? Also I've heard hillshade may be involved? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Canada

Well, when you think about it, the inundation levels are just contours, right? I did a map like this once.....I just started with a digital elevation model, and created the contour lines for the elevations I needed, and then redefined those lines as inundation levels. I'm not sure why hillshading would be involved, since that's a separate feature from the inundation levels per se.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Hi All,

I am attempting a project using ArcGIS to simulate a number of sea level rise scenarios on a coastal location. I am looking to create output maps for differing levels of inundation, e.g. a 0.5m rise, 1m rise, etc. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out as to how I would go about doing so? What data do I need? Also I've heard hillshade may be involved? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

BTN123

BTN123

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thanks Charles, I will look into that!

Does anyone else have any other advice or suggestions?

Much Appreciated!

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

I don't know anything about ArcGIS I'm afraid. However, it might be worth downloading MICRODEM and searching for 'Flooding Analysis' in the help file. But I guess the quality of the results of any flood analysis carried out by computer will depend almost entirely on the quality of the elevation data. It's unlikely that SRTM data will be good enough and I've no idea what the OS charge for their DEMs.

See: http://www.usna.edu/...rodemoutput.htm

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

jakel

jakel

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

There was a great study completed in association with Architecture 2030 on visualizing sea level rise in American cities. They have created a nice interactive website to go along with it.

http://www.architect...tal_impact.html

They also detail their methodology, which includes lots of ArcGIS use and a hydrologic model to predict where sea water would fill into on land based on elevation.

If you wanted to take a more basic route, you could take a closer-range view and just highlight all of the areas in blue that are below the elevation of interest (e.g. 2 meters). If you set the hue of the blue equal to the surrounding ocean in whatever image you've got, it will simulate rising sea quite well, especially if you use the right transparency effects.

I've completed similar graphics, eventually outputting blue-highlighted rasters via KMZ to Google Earth, where you can navigate flooded areas in 3D with satellite imagery, 3D buildings, etc, which brings the point a lot closer to home than a basic map. In any event, good luck and let me know if you have any specific questions.

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

I don't know anything about ArcGIS I'm afraid. However, it might be worth downloading MICRODEM and searching for 'Flooding Analysis' in the help file. But I guess the quality of the results of any flood analysis carried out by computer will depend almost entirely on the quality of the elevation data. It's unlikely that SRTM data will be good enough and I've no idea what the OS charge for their DEMs.

Regards, N.

I was looking at the MICRODEM website the other night after it was mentioned on another thread and one of the samples is the depiction of sea water level rise using a 1m LIDAR DEM:

Posted Image

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

BTN123

BTN123

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United Kingdom

Regards, N.

I was looking at the MICRODEM website the other night after it was mentioned on another thread and one of the samples is the depiction of sea water level rise using a 1m LIDAR DEM:

Posted Image

Cool, some decent stuff there! So I'm using ArcMap and would ideally like a similar output as the MICRODEM shown above, i.e. a range of maps each detailing different inundation scenarios. It sounds like creating contours and redefining these as mentioned above, would be the simplest/most effective method of doing so. So I just wanted to see if anyone has any advice on how to go about doing this?

Your help is much appreciated!

Nicholas_C

Nicholas_C

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Hi:
Just a thought.....Another thing to think about is its not just the static/fair weather sea level that is of most concern. The storm surge/tsunami runup/rivermouth flooding scenario changes associated with sea level rise are the real worry for a lot of cities. Look into maybe running the FEMA HAZUS model, which runs in the ArcGIS framework, using varying sea levels for the input.

BTN123

BTN123

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi:
Just a thought.....Another thing to think about is its not just the static/fair weather sea level that is of most concern. The storm surge/tsunami runup/rivermouth flooding scenario changes associated with sea level rise are the real worry for a lot of cities. Look into maybe running the FEMA HAZUS model, which runs in the ArcGIS framework, using varying sea levels for the input.

Hi,
I am aware that the biggest and most realistic hazard is storm surge associated with sea level rise, and the FEMA HAZUS model you have highlighted is very good. However, I am solely interested in the effect of different inundation levels (without associated surges or other related hazards) and would like to digitise these inundation levels in ArcGIS myself as opposed to using an existing model. My desired output would be similar to the MICRODEM map above, but having individual maps for each inundation level. As mentioned, creation of contours (redefined as inundation levels) appears to be the most effective method of doing this, I'm just not fully sure of how to do this! Any help or advice on how to do so would be great!

Thanks again!

sahar123

sahar123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi,

I just joined to this website and I know the solution, so if you are still looking for that let me know ;)

Sahar

Huma

Huma

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United Kingdom

:)

Hi,

I just joined to this website and I know the solution, so if you are still looking for that let me know ;)

Sahar

Hi Sahar,

I will be highly obliged if you could please help me with the above answer as I am also looking for the same thing. Essentially, I am looking to make maps of sea level rise at various levels in software such as ArcGIS or whichever you think is suitable. It would also be useful to have 3d views.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks & kind regards,

Huma

ghaney86

ghaney86

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi,

Sahar

I'm working in the same sort of project, including sea level rise in GIS, but including transportation/population affected, etc. Could you send /post your methodology? Thanks!

ghaney86

ghaney86

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

I am also interested in pursuing a project modeling sea-level rise and affects of population, infrastructure using GIS. Any methodology or projects that could help, please send my way or post. Thanks much.

Gerald

kimtheis

kimtheis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi,

Sahar

SAHAR,
I NEED to know how to do this, and fast! I do hope it is simple. I have to present this on Friday. I cant figure out how to do it.
Please help me!
Kim :o

lc500

lc500

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • No Country Selected

The quickest thing I would think of is to actually seek out water shapefiles (you can probably find them in local gis databases from local or state gvt. websites, etc.) for different years. If there is any difference in the two you literally know the sea level rose during that time period.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->