8 replies to this topic

bob_media

bob_media

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United Kingdom

I have been asked to provide a hobby magazine with a 'map' to illustrate a set of rules for a table-top Spanish Civil War war game scenario.

The map is intended to communicate the nature of the terrain and the positions of the starting positions of the two sides. This information is expanded on in the rules that will be published with the map.

Elevations need only communicate there are two hills of equal height separated by a plain. The rules require the map to include a cardinal point, command post and strongpoint. (The spelling of 'strongpoint' is the author's preference).

The rules contain no information regarding distance so a scale has not been included.

The map will be reproduced in colour at A5 size or a little smaller. (The for web viewing I've saved the attached map at 72ppi)

Grateful for any feedback or guidance forum members may give.

Best wishes

Bob :D

Attached Files

OS X 10.5.8
Mac Mini
Adobe Creative Suite 4

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Very nice! Its clean and concise for the purpose.

What I would adjust would be the colors and fonts (maybe dress it up for the period).

Let you imagination soar on the no man's land - there might be a stream or bushes, tank barriers, concertina wire, mines etc.?

Here is a link to another war game map - for reference

Good luck!

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

Let you imagination soar on the no man's land - there might be a stream or bushes, tank barriers, concertina wire, mines etc.?

George Orwell was on the Aragon front with the POUM and suffered from the bitter, bitter cold. It's a pity that climate can't be rendered on the map. In the light of subsequent events it seems odd that in those days the POUM flew a red flag with a hammer-and-sickle on it.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Hello Bob,

Not to be mean, but it's not working for me. :(

My personal preference is for browner or gray shades and contour lines. Maybe you can add some sort of vegetation representation to the map?

Of course, I'm also not one to play those sorts of games. So maybe I'm just out of touch?

Good luck - sorry for not being very helpful.
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

bob_media

bob_media

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thanks you for your kind words and suggestions.

I used Colour Brewer to produce the colours for the contours. What change to colour would you suggest.

I'll look at the font again. I've used Helvetica Neu which is based on a mid-fifties font. I try and identify a font appropriate for the period. Mid-thirties Spain.

Sadly I can't do anything about inclusion of rivers barbed-wire as the terrain must follow the description in the rules. This results in a 'bare map' I know but that's what the author wants.

Thanks for the link. A very impressive map indeed. Particularly like the way contours are treated.

Once again thank you for your helpful comments.

:o)
OS X 10.5.8
Mac Mini
Adobe Creative Suite 4

bob_media

bob_media

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United Kingdom

Nick,

I was surprised too. I enjoy doing wargaming and battle maps as it prompts me to do a bit of research.

I derived the colours I used for the nationalist symbols on the flag which was yellow-red-yellow. This prompted me to try and establish the POUM 'colours'.

The power of the t'internet found some contemporary black and white images. The only issue was the colouring of the lettering-white or yellow? I took my lead from a blog that suggested lettering was white.

A links to some images:

http://www.henry-mil...om/art/POUM.jpg

http://www.hoover.or...st/3475881.html

The POUM or Partido Obrero Unificación Marxista (Catalan: Partit Obrer d'Unificació Marxista; English: Workers' Party of Marxist Unification) was a Spanish communist political party formed during the Second Republic, and mainly active around the time of the Spanish Civil War.

Thanks for your feedback
B:o)
OS X 10.5.8
Mac Mini
Adobe Creative Suite 4

bob_media

bob_media

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United Kingdom

Esther,

Thanks for your feedback and comments and you're not being mean just honest.

Not at all sure what the 'colour' of the terrain is in this area and whether shades of brown would be more appropriate. Will look at it again. I will also revisit the matter of contour lines. Originally these were included but I felt visually they were too dominate. Maybe a lighter weight and colour other than black. Open to suggestions.

Sadly I can't add vegetation or other landscape items if they are not in the rules.

Again thank you for taking the time to provide your feeback.

Kindest regards

OS X 10.5.8
Mac Mini
Adobe Creative Suite 4

bob_media

bob_media

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United Kingdom

Dear all

Thanks for downloading my map some 115 times and thank you for the comments made so far.

Given the number of downloads and views I'd be grateful to receive any further feedback or guidance.

OS X 10.5.8
Mac Mini
Adobe Creative Suite 4

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

I would look at 2 things:
1. Other maps for tabletop games to see what the map's audience might be used to seeing.
2. Period maps to see if you can emulate some of the colors, lettering, symbols, etc.

The map probably needs to be kept simple with little clutter, but you could possibly still capture the period feel and have fun.

Hope that helps :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->