• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Cameron Ellis

Cameron Ellis

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

I am a GIS mapper interested in learning Flash. Any advice for starting out??

I am very familiar with Illustrator / Photoshop etc, have used them for years. But a bit daunted by Flash for some reason.

Also, is this still the best dynamic mapping platform for someone interested in creative web-based maps/visualization? ... or Flex?

Thanks in advance,

Cameron

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

You might look at this thread, or search the forums for more suggestions.

Cheers,
David

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Check out this thread: How to make a clean vector country map from a bitmap image

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I am a GIS mapper interested in learning Flash. Any advice for starting out??

I am very familiar with Illustrator / Photoshop etc, have used them for years. But a bit daunted by Flash for some reason.

Also, is this still the best dynamic mapping platform for someone interested in creative web-based maps/visualization? ... or Flex?

Thanks in advance,

Cameron

If you want to make professional flash movies and apps, you should use the Illustrator to Flash workflow, with the ability to generalize shapes as appropriate.
Learning Flash is important - start with the ground rules (tools, functions, and basics) - there are some great magazines with Flash project files on CD (online as well).
Learn by doing. Just as with cartography, find a good example of the type of Flash map you want to create on your own, deconstruct it with a Flash decompiler and understand how it is put together.

Actionscript is also good to know. Flex is a great tool too- for fitting in flash map with data controls, forms, and multimedia in one app.

Good luck!

flashusamap

flashusamap

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Flash is intimidating but I was able to teach myself a lot by diving into the code of a basic map and doing Google searches to fully understand the code. I sell a basic Flash map of the United States. I would be happy to give you the source code so you could get your feet wet. If you have experience with other languages, it isn't too hard to pick up. If you're interested, email me at [first name below] @flashusamap.com.

Best,

Chris

Cameron Ellis

Cameron Ellis

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

Thanks everyone for your links.

Chris - sending you an email... thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users