Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Hello all,

Here's a 3D pictorial map I actually finished a couple of months ago for the Borough of Manhattan Community College. I first illustrated a 2D flat map of lower Manhattan for a separate interactive map project. See link below. Then I took that same 2D illustrator file and skewed it to create a 3D effect for the street grid. This was done in Adobe Illustrator CS3. From there I simply drew in the landmark buildings and then even skewed those buildings using the Transform tool to give that sort of bowed effect on the edges. I had no one aerial reference to go by so this was a challenge indeed. I drew the buildings based on reference images I could find online. So, the buildings certainly aren't 100% architecturally accurate but they do give a general "feel" as landmark icons. The purpose of the piece is for admissions use at the college so new or prospective students and visitors can get a sense where BMCC fits in with lower Manhattan and how close landmarks are. Color schemes and font choices are consistent with BMCC's brand usage guidelines.

This project is finished so I am only accepting positive feedback!!! ;) No, really if you can offer some constructive criticism I will keep it in my back pocket for the next project.

Link for 2D interactive map: http://www.bmcc.cuny.edu/map/

3D pictorial map.
Attached File  BMCC_3D_map.jpg   808.3KB   165 downloads

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Spain

Spectacular! That's some serious craftsmanship, and the final result is really impressive. The 2D map and interface are great, too.

I have to say, I'm not a real fan of putting labels right on top of small objects (such as John Street Methodist Church) unless absolutely necessary. And on the 3D map, it looks like the green-roofed buildings to the right of the Freedom Tower are a bit tilted. But those are minor points -- I'm really impressed with your work!
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • United States

Spectacular! That's some serious craftsmanship, and the final result is really impressive. The 2D map and interface are great, too.

I have to say, I'm not a real fan of putting labels right on top of small objects (such as John Street Methodist Church) unless absolutely necessary. And on the 3D map, it looks like the green-roofed buildings to the right of the Freedom Tower are a bit tilted. But those are minor points -- I'm really impressed with your work!

Thanks Michael, those tilted buildings were done deliberately to give that sort of 3D effect like looking through a fish eye lens the farther you get to the edges. Quite frankly, looking back I should have just left all of the structures vertical because doing that tilt Transform tool thing was a lot of extra work. And having the tall Freedom Tower (should it ever get built!) there being so vertical doesn't help with that bowed effect. Funny on Freedom Tower is I had to shorten it because it is sooooo tall! Had to fit in the top structure of it within the page size. So, a little fudging there.

I hear ya on some of the labels on top of landmarks. Things started getting really tight. Plus we wanted to keep text legibility at a good size too, so that's a trade off. There were a bunch of landmarks that we actually had to keep off because they were simply obscured by other tall buildings. The client and I chose the best angle possible to not only feature BMCC in the foreground (which is the main "product") but to give a sense of all the major landmarks too.

Thanks for your feedback!

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I'm surprised they didn't want the nearby subway stops shown, at least on the planimetric.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • United States

I'm surprised they didn't want the nearby subway stops shown, at least on the planimetric.

The subway stations are on the 2D interactive map. Click on that link. You have to zoom in a couple of levels.

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

cartotech81

cartotech81

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Great job. Love these types of maps. I have been doing cartography for 6 years now, and would love to get into doing things like this. My only problem is that I have no artistic talent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->