• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

20 Ton Squirrel

20 Ton Squirrel

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

Greetings from amateurville, folks. I'm tasked with hunting down "holes" in regions that should be large clumps of contiguous zip codes. I've built these regions by doing SQL selections and combining the objects.

This works like a charm, mind you, but now I must find all the zipcodes within these regions that are NOT assigned!

My question: Is there a way to erase all of the inner objects of a region so I can use that "solid object" to find underlying zipcodes that aren't included?

Here's a screenshot to exemplify what I'm doing. I'm trying to automatically target those red zipcodes!
Posted Image

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

What software(s) are you using? And I am not 100% sure exactly what you are asking... ! (and what data you have at hand)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

Greetings from amateurville, folks. I'm tasked with hunting down "holes" in regions that should be large clumps of contiguous zip codes. I've built these regions by doing SQL selections and combining the objects.

This works like a charm, mind you, but now I must find all the zipcodes within these regions that are NOT assigned!

My question: Is there a way to erase all of the inner objects of a region so I can use that "solid object" to find underlying zipcodes that aren't included?

Here's a screenshot to exemplify what I'm doing. I'm trying to automatically target those red zipcodes!

I'm not too sure what you're asking either and I know what software you're using (MapInfo)!

If I understand you correctly then you could try can and use Objects -> Disaggregate Objects and untick the 'Retain Holes in Regions' check-box.

The other possible option would be to use Objects - Check Regions and enable gap detection. You'll need playaround the 'Maximum Gap Area' figure to include all of the zip code areas though. When you run this make sure that the cosmetic layer is editable as it will create areas where it finds gaps.

If these suggestions don't work then let me know and I'll try and help further.

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->