16 replies to this topic

Amy Cohen

Amy Cohen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

As a graduate student at the University of Miami, I instructed the laboratory component of the geography department's introductory GIS course. While developing a lab assignment on spatial data collection, I learned that the National Hurricane Center posts up-to-date shapefiles of current storm paths during hurricane season. Coincidentally, I was also reading John Pickles' "A History of Spaces" at the time. I became very interested in discussions of objectivity, representation, and data access in critical cartography literature. The combination of these thoughts and events inspired a storm tracking map that played on the storm's name, Tropical Storm Hanna. The map is titled "Tropical Storm Hanna(h Montana)". It was created using ArcMap, Adobe Illustrator, and Photoshop.

Posted Image

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Okay, that has got to be the weirdest hurricane map ever :lol: But I like what you did with that theme though.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

Who said psychedelia was dead? Probably the best thing to do during a hurricane; turn on, tune in and drop out. Instead of the stars perhaps you could use bananas.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Who said psychedelia was dead? Probably the best thing to do during a hurricane; turn on, tune in and drop out. Instead of the stars perhaps you could use bananas.

Regards, N.

OK - the map is funky and cool. I like it . . . except for the projection. Which projection did you use? Looks like geographic.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

That's too funny - map as dark humor? (i.e. Wouldn't be funny if people were hurt or killed and property damaged.)

I love the design - very 70's radio show theme. What is the Hurricane Hanna theme song? Disco I imagine.

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Hey Amy!

I love the play on the name, the whole concept is pretty funny, it's just too bad I can't stand all the teeny-bopper Hanna Montana stuff.

You do need a theme song. How about Hanna Montana's Let's Chill from the Hanna Montana movie?

I became very interested in discussions of objectivity, representation, and data access in critical cartography literature.

Hmm, yes, objectivity in critical cartographic literature... ;)

Thanks for posting!
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

Amy Cohen

Amy Cohen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

Okay, that has got to be the weirdest hurricane map ever :lol: But I like what you did with that theme though.

I'll take weird as a compliment! Thanks! I found that making strange maps was a great way to relieve some of the stress that comes along with being in graduate school. Who knew?

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Too friggin' funny! :D

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

Amy Cohen

Amy Cohen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

Hey Amy!

I love the play on the name, the whole concept is pretty funny, it's just too bad I can't stand all the teeny-bopper Hanna Montana stuff.

You do need a theme song. How about Hanna Montana's Let's Chill from the Hanna Montana movie?

I became very interested in discussions of objectivity, representation, and data access in critical cartography literature.

Hmm, yes, objectivity in critical cartographic literature... ;)

Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the comment, Esther!

I can't say I'm a fan of hers, but it just so happened there was a craze going on at the same time that tropical storm Hanna came around. There was Hannah Montana paraphernalia every where you looked! Even the grocery store had snacks with her picture on the packaging. She seemed to be the most popular Hannah at the moment, so that's what I used. I also made a "Hurricane Ike (and Tina Turner)" map that was unfortunately lost in a hard drive crash.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

OMG - that's awesome! LOL

BFF

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Great map, Amy. Who says destruction can't be fun? I love it.

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

What is the Hurricane Hanna theme song?

Hard Hearted Hannah, the vamp of Savannah. It looks as if maritime GA might be subject to the tender mercies of this Hannah too, not too badly I sincerely hope.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

I like the gender critique in this map as well. Challenging the arguably masculine discipline of cartography (historically at least).

Cheers,
David

Amy Cohen

Amy Cohen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

Regards, N.

OK - the map is funky and cool. I like it . . . except for the projection. Which projection did you use? Looks like geographic.

I was probably using UTM zone 17N for Florida. That probably has something to do with the distortion of the US states. Good point! I should have been more careful about that. :)

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

The map kind of reminds me of a cartographer making a map while being high on something. Obviously the design is nice but sends the message that hurricanes are eh okay, they are natures best friend. Does anyone have a pop sickle? :lol:

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->