• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

pblackbuck

pblackbuck

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • No Country Selected

I am struggling with a problem for last one week. I hope some suggestions to get rid from this.

I had collected coordinate using Gramin GPS with following setting:

Cordinate system GCS Indian Bangladesh
User defined grid properties:
Longitude origin: E81.0000 degrees
Scale factor: 0.9999
False Easting:500000 meters
False Northing: 0 meters

I copied all points in GCS Indian Bangladesh in spreadsheet. Now I want to change the coordinate into WGS 1984 UTM zone 45 N. Unfortunately, I don't have previous data on Garmin mapSource. It seems that I have to transform coordinate from spreadsheets to gpx or mapSource format. I tried it with several software available (DNR Garmin, GPS babel, GPX2POI) to convert file from excel to gpx format. There was no problem with file transformation, but all transformed files (in gpx format) do not open in MapSource {Message: .....file could not be opened}.

Example:
Coordinate of a point: 547021 3178676 (GCS Indian Bangladesh) should be N28 43.711 E81 28.777 in WGS 1984.

Any suggestions is highly appreciated !

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Sorry, I am not sure exactly what your problem/question is - how to create gpx-files that Garmin MapSource can open, is that what you want to do?

(I am not sure where the coordinate transformation comes in...)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

My reading of pblackbuck's problem is that he has a spreadsheet with a number of xy coordinates in the 'GCS Indian Bangladesh' projection format and that he needs to convert these to 'UTM Zone 45N/WGS84'. Is this correct PB?

Added later: by the way, the lat/lon coordinate you gave (N28 43.711 E81 28.777) doesn't appear to be in UTM Zone 45N.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

Crischan

Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Spatial Information Design
  • Germany

These programs are usually expecting some GPS-format for file input. Can you attach the GPS or the spreadsheet?
I am babysitting the GPS zoo for the college I am working at, so I have seen and done all kinds of freaky file conversion already, so I am hoping I can help you out here.
Crischan Wygoda
http://wygoda.net

pblackbuck

pblackbuck

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • No Country Selected

Thanks for your quick reply.

@frax: I wanted to convert GPS coordinate from GCS_Everest Bangladesh to WGS 1984. I have coordinates in the spreadsheet.
@Nick H: Thanks, you understood my problem. But the coordinate N28 43.711 E81 28.777 are not of UTM Zone 45N. It is WGS 1984 derived from Garmin GPS. I wanted to convert coordinates into this format.
@Crischan: These programs can convert cvs, text file format to GPS format (eg. gpx, gdb). The strange is that I could not open gpx file in map source with my coordinate system, which I converted from dbf format to gpx format with DNR Garmin. It works with other coordinate system, but not with my coordinate system.
I could not attach spreadsheet here. It says ( Error Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file) . I will send you if you I get your email.
Thanks.

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

@Nick H: Thanks, you understood my problem. But the coordinate N28 43.711 E81 28.777 are not of UTM Zone 45N. It is WGS 1984 derived from Garmin GPS. I wanted to convert coordinates into this format.

Okay, I think I might understand now. You want to convert (ie. unproject) your projected xy coordinates to WSG84 lat/lon. This is so that you can make a gpx file, where the coordinates have to be lat/lon.

Could I ask whether or not you have an EPSG/ESRI code for the projection? Or could you post the parameter string you have for the projection here. I can only find ESRI:37202, which doesn't do what you want.

Regards, N.

pblackbuck

pblackbuck

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • No Country Selected

Okay, I think I might understand now. You want to convert (ie. unproject) your projected xy coordinates to WSG84 lat/lon. This is so that you can make a gpx file, where the coordinates have to be lat/lon.

Could I ask whether or not you have an EPSG/ESRI code for the projection? Or could you post the parameter string you have for the projection here. I can only find ESRI:37202, which doesn't do what you want.

Regards, N.

Hi, I don't have other parameters except posted in the ESRI (http://spatialrefere...ref/esri/37202/). I have a prj file that defines projection parameters. I am sorry that I could not attach it (some error while attaching file). I would be happy to send it you. My email address is pblackbuck@hotmail.com.
with regards,

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

pblackbuck, did you maybe create another user and another topic while waiting for administrator approval? I see this topic, which looks nearly identical. Can we delete that topic, and your duplicate user, if that is the case?

Thanks!

Hugo
(one of the friendly admins!)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

pblackbuck

pblackbuck

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • No Country Selected

pblackbuck, did you maybe create another user and another topic while waiting for administrator approval? I see this topic, which looks nearly identical. Can we delete that topic, and your duplicate user, if that is the case?

Thanks!

Hugo
(one of the friendly admins!)

No, I have not created another user id. It is senseless to create another ID to have discussion on the same topic. I went through the topic and surprised to see the exactly the same posting. I don't have to say to the guy who enjoys hijacking others.
Best, Pblackbuck.

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi, I don't have other parameters except posted in the ESRI (http://spatialrefere...ref/esri/37202/). I have a prj file that defines projection parameters. I am sorry that I could not attach it (some error while attaching file).

ESRI:37202 is a lat/lon GCS (Geographical Coordinate System), it's not a projection.

As I understand it, the coordinates in your spreadsheet are in the form of easting and northings that look something like, say, 546836 3178002. To convert these coordinates to WGS84 lat/lon you will need to know what their projection is. To me, the example coordinate you posted (547021 3178676) looks as if it might be UTM, but I have nothing to check this against except the lat/lon coordinate you posted (N28 43.711 E81 28.777).

N28 43.711 E81 28.777 is apparently a point in Nepal who's UTM coordinate is about 44R 546836 3178002, so I'm stuck here, sorry :(.

Regards, N.

Richard Nie

Richard Nie

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:GIS Software Engineer<br />Navigation Map/GIS/GPS
  • China

maybe PROJ4 libary is useful.but you have to code something.
GIS Programmer

Melita Kennedy

Melita Kennedy

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

I am struggling with a problem for last one week. I hope some suggestions to get rid from this.

I had collected coordinate using Gramin GPS with following setting:

Cordinate system GCS Indian Bangladesh
User defined grid properties:
Longitude origin: E81.0000 degrees
Scale factor: 0.9999
False Easting:500000 meters
False Northing: 0 meters

I copied all points in GCS Indian Bangladesh in spreadsheet. Now I want to change the coordinate into WGS 1984 UTM zone 45 N. Unfortunately, I don't have previous data on Garmin mapSource. It seems that I have to transform coordinate from spreadsheets to gpx or mapSource format. I tried it with several software available (DNR Garmin, GPS babel, GPX2POI) to convert file from excel to gpx format. There was no problem with file transformation, but all transformed files (in gpx format) do not open in MapSource {Message: .....file could not be opened}.

Example:
Coordinate of a point: 547021 3178676 (GCS Indian Bangladesh) should be N28 43.711 E81 28.777 in WGS 1984.

Any suggestions is highly appreciated !

Indian Bangladesh equates to IND-B and then to the Kalianpur_1937_To_WGS_1984_1 transformation. ArcGIS does not have a Kalianpur 1937 based projected coordinate system that matches the parameters you give above. I would browse to the projected coordinate system, National Grids, Indian subcontinent folder, and pick one of the Kalianpur 1937 definitions and 'modify' it have the projection parameters you want. As others have pointed out, data that should be near 81E is solidly in UTM zone 44, not 45. The central longitude of UTM zone 44 is 81E, while zone 45 uses 87E.

On another note, IND-I (Indian datum for India and Nepal) is the GPS datum that's more appropriate for Nepal, rather IND-B (than Indian Bangladesh). In the future, if you update your custom local system in the GPS device to use IND-I, the corresponding transformation in ArcGIS is Kalianpur_1975_To_WGS_1984_1.

Melita

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->