22 replies to this topic

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

Hello,
I dont play golf, and neither know their rules, but from time to time, some client asks me to make a golf course map. Well, I alway prupose a simple thing: a map with an slope map overlay.... up to today no one has accepted it, and at the end I have to make a usual golf map / Illustration, using photosho, illustrator or in 3D: World Coonstruction Set.
Since I dont play golf, I dont know if slopes are important, but I figure that they are... I think the problem is that clients / Users like more the usual golf course maps...
Best ragards,
Fernando J Sanchez Menendez
EOSGIS SL

I thought I'd post an update to this project and perhaps solicit additional critiques/ideas. The content will probably end up being used in a number of places, but one such place might be individual hole posters. I've created one that I wanted to have the appearance of a blueprint, but also look like something someone might display. The hatchures are not what I would describe as the traditional type because I don't want too much information so as to be confusing. Oh, and I forgot to put a scale on there, so that will eventually be part of the finished product. Aside from the critiques, how might some of you try to depict something like this?

Thanks,

Charlie

CharlieG

CharlieG

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the reply. This may be a stupid question, but what do you mean by "slope map overlay"? If you have an example of one I'd like to see it. The reason is you are correct, slope IS important, in fact it's the soul of the game in my opinion.

Hello,
I dont play golf, and neither know their rules, but from time to time, some client asks me to make a golf course map. Well, I alway prupose a simple thing: a map with an slope map overlay.... up to today no one has accepted it, and at the end I have to make a usual golf map / Illustration, using photosho, illustrator or in 3D: World Coonstruction Set.
Since I dont play golf, I dont know if slopes are important, but I figure that they are... I think the problem is that clients / Users like more the usual golf course maps...
Best ragards,
Fernando J Sanchez Menendez
EOSGIS SL

I thought I'd post an update to this project and perhaps solicit additional critiques/ideas. The content will probably end up being used in a number of places, but one such place might be individual hole posters. I've created one that I wanted to have the appearance of a blueprint, but also look like something someone might display. The hatchures are not what I would describe as the traditional type because I don't want too much information so as to be confusing. Oh, and I forgot to put a scale on there, so that will eventually be part of the finished product. Aside from the critiques, how might some of you try to depict something like this?

Thanks,

Charlie

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

Hello Charlie,
Well, I cant find any "finished example" in my huge hard disk database (I think I have them in CD or DVD from a backup), but I have prepared you a "scientific" & Quick example about the idea. It's the attached jpeg.
With, i.e. Surfer (Golden Software) you can calculate the slope and aspect of the terrain. Then, you cand draw the aspect + Slope as vectors and overlay this over the Green, or draw the slope as a color sacle and combien it... well, imagination is just the limit.
If you look the program World construction Set (3D nature) yo can see several finished and rendered golf courses. Well, the point may be to integrate into these rendered images the slope and aspect (I think the program let's you calculate it at render time too).
http://3dnature.com/golfarc.html
I will look forward that examples I have Backup...
Best regards,
Fernando J Sánchez Menéndez
EOSGI SL

Thanks,

Charlie

Attached Files

Agnar Renolen

Agnar Renolen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • No Country Selected

Map looks good with the bllue background and white detail.

Just a suggestion on the slope depiction. A common way de display embankments on maps, is to display them as a row of enlongated triangles with the base on the upper slope and the point oriented downslope. I think it should worl better than your arrows.

CharlieG

CharlieG

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Thanks Agnar,

I'll attach a couple of other versions with arrows like you describe.

Attached Files

CharlieG

CharlieG

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

2nd image

Attached Files

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Thanks,

Charlie

Nice look!

According to your perpective view, the sand pits around the green (which is not identified in the map neither the starting tee), are lower than the green, but the hachures give the impression of the contrary, despite the arrow identifying the down of the slope. The hachure should be connected to the line at the top of the slope, like you have done for the green in the detail view (the thick white line is at the top and the hachure are pointing to the bottom of the slope).

Other than that, I like it!! :)

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hey Charlie,

I didn't have time to read every post on this thread, but here are some of my concerns.

I'm not a fontologist, but I do not consider Comic Sans as a professional font. It also clashes with your desgin's feel.
What is the signature in the top right-hand corner?

Why is your inset of the green at a different orientation then your basemap? That just adds a level of confusion that to me isn't necessary.

What is that profile line, middle left center?

Why do you have 3 different symbols/hatch patterns for sand (small white dots, small black dots, and large white dots)?

I think that your slopes could be highlighted with a simple mesh gradient. Furthermore, that would eliminate your linear gradient which to me serves no purpose.

Hope that helps,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->