amtait

amtait

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:map design, mountain cartography, typography
  • United States

I love this sort of challenge too and you are very close!

This is certainly a picture OF the Moose's Tooth in the Ruth Gorge area near Denali. Check any images collection. An outstanding and VERY REAL place that climbers have been to for many years. The jagged four peaked ridge in the back is Moose's Tooth, the granite in the foreground most likely Mount Dickey, where the climber taking the photo was positioned.

For an overview photo take a look:
http://fineartameric...air-turner.html

__Alex

After lurking for a long time, I'm finally compelled to join so I can see the picture of this mysterious mountain range. Go figure.

Looks like a real picture to me. Just a little heavy-handed on the photoshop which gives it that rendered appearance.

Judging from the delectably climbable rock in the foreground, my guess is that it was taken by a climber. If the Karakoram and Patagonia have been ruled out then some other options for monolithic, glaciated granite are the French Alps (doesn't look familiar) and the Bugaboos (definitely not), and the Alaska Range.

My guess is the Ruth Gorge/Mooses Tooth area of the AK Range. Maybe taken from the Mooses Tooth, a relatively popular climb?

Alex Tait
VP, International Mapping, Ellicott City, MD, USA

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Spain

I was thinking it might be the Dolomites, but the mystery is solved -- it's definitely Moose's Tooth. Good sleuthing, Alpenglo and amtait!
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->