• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

ErinGreb

ErinGreb

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:atlas design, textbook cartography, historical map design, guidebook maps
  • United States

I created a tif file from DEM data in Manifold, exported as a TIF with project properties intact (I think) but am not sure about how to get it into MAPublisher without registering the image by hand.

I know that once I fit it by hand I can register the image through the MAPushlisher filter, but is there a way to import the image and have it register automatically like GIS vector data?

Thanks for any help!

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

Have you tried exporting it as geotiff? It should pop on to the right place.
maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I created a tif file from DEM data in Manifold, exported as a TIF with project properties intact (I think) but am not sure about how to get it into MAPublisher without registering the image by hand.

I know that once I fit it by hand I can register the image through the MAPushlisher filter, but is there a way to import the image and have it register automatically like GIS vector data?

Yes, assuming it's in the same projection as your vector data that's already in MAPublisher and it's a Geotiff or Tiff with TFW world file.

• Create a new layer and drag it into the Map View as an area layer (type really doesn't matter actually...)
  • Place the image on the layer (File -> Place)
  • Make sure the image is selected, then go to the MAPublisher Register Image dialog.
  • In the MAPublisher Register Image dialog you have the option of setting the coordinates of the image corners manually... or you can load them from a file. Pick that button, then select either the TFW file or, if it's a Geotiff, the original Tiff file. Hit OK twice and it should be good.

Ironically... this is also the subject of the demo for my MAPublisher training videos ;)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ErinGreb

ErinGreb

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:atlas design, textbook cartography, historical map design, guidebook maps
  • United States

Awesome, thanks! I exported as a tif out of Manifold, and it came not with the tfw file but I just reloaded the tif and it worked great!

I'll have to check out your videos - I am sure they will answer many other questions I have!

-Erin

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

No you can't directly bring in a surface from Manifold into MaPublisher. You have to make the DEM into an image then export it out as a high quality georeferenced TIFF.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Can you, in Manifold, create a vector layer that is the boundaries of the image? Something like creating a new image, classifying all cells as 0 or 1 or something and then do a raster>poly?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->