2 replies to this topic

electric angel

electric angel

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • United Kingdom

...and the most enterprising place in europe (well, we won an award that says so).

the rest of my intro is more humble. i'm adrian, a graphic designer in scarborough, uk. hello.

firstly apologies if this post ends up a bit of a replication of one i've added to another thread but which appears to be not getting approved. i wanted to say thanks to all who've posted on here - it's a real treasure trove for someone researching maps and mapping like myself.

and the reason i'm doing that research is because we've been commissioned to work on a project called CHART Scarborough - a map of cultural locations in scarborough that is influenced by legible cities thinking and cognitive mapping and to that end includes research with the local community and we hope, visitors, to explore different approaches to navigating the town. we're also up-front that this map will aim to steer people towards those places and prompt them to consider alternate ways of moving around the urban landscape.

first stage will be a printed, map preceded by creative workshops and interventions in public spaces as part of our research. there'll also be a community project involving postcards to explore how people value certain spaces and to promote the map. we're also looking at using buildings rather than signs as 'signage' for the town.

stage 2 will be an interactive web version, possibly allowing user customisation. there's the possibility of development into hand-held technology later on. new works of art/interventions will also be commissioned.

that's who i am and where i'm coming from. lots to learn but we're also trying not to get sucked into accepting any established way of creating a map - if the end result is generic map that could be found in any other town we've probably failed.

i hope to post some of our prototypes on here to benefit from your collective experience and insight and look forward to interacting with you. we're also blogging our journey: http://www.chartscarborough.com

thanks for reading,

adrian riley
http://www.electricangel.co.uk

Boundary Maven

Boundary Maven

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • United States

That looks like an awesome project! Who is funding it? We had a somewhat similar program here (Portland OR) but nowhere near as far-reaching as yours. Ours was funded by the city government and focused on changing travel habits in specific neighborhoods using ped-friendly maps (as well as a host of other items).

electric angel

electric angel

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • United Kingdom

the funding is coming from various sources - the largest chunk being from the arts council (a government body). enough in place to deliver stages 1 and possibly stage 2 at present. the impetus comes from the scarborough renaissance project which is a partnership of community, business and local government. http://www.scarboroughsfuture.org.uk

ideally we'd love the local authority to really get on board with the whole legible cities thinking, but obviously that would require a far bigger amount of money than we're playing with and at present looks unlikely to happen. because our brief is quite tightly defined as what will be delivered and is restricted by both the size of the town and the subject matter (eg. we'll only have the 'cultural' buildings with which to explore the buildings-as-signage idea) it gives us opportunity to investigate these ideas within it and perhaps give a taster of what a town-wide approach might look like.

at least that's the theory. there's always the possibility we're biting off more than we can chew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->