9 replies to this topic

Boundary Maven

Boundary Maven

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • United States

This is a map I produced for the City of Portland. We've done a series of maps for them, each one focusing on a quadrant of the city (NE, N, SE, SW, and NW - yes, Portland has five quadrants. Don't ask me to explain it). The maps are wayfinding for pedestrians and bicyclists and include neighborhood points of interest like schools, bike shops, groceries, parks, fountains, public art, transit stops, and more. I think that it's a pretty clean design, considering the amount of data we had to fit onto the page. Critiques? Kudos? Criticisms?

PDF files, about 600k each.

Attached Files

Boundary Maven

Boundary Maven

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • United States

2nd PDF - file size limits prevented me from putting them both in the original post.

Attached Files

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Hey Maven, first impression I had was great job! Very professional design, very clean, good choices of fonts for readability - and especially placing the black road text against the white background so readability is the best. I know you probably would have liked to have made the font size a little bigger overall but I bet it's one of those trade offs to not clutter the map with so much information. I struggle with that too. I really like it alot. I can tell you are very well schooled in design as your layout in attractive, organized, and consistent especially trying to present all of that information. I like the legend too and your use of white negative space overall. Your line spacing overall is very good too. Helps readability. And that added touch under the scale of how long it takes to walk or bike a 1/2 mile is one of those nice little value-added tidbits that give an extra helpful surprise relevant to your target audience. Probably the only things I can see improved is the font size for better readability and maybe tweeking the colors of the park grass/and or the water color. When they are adjacent to each other they both become neutral and blend into one visually upon first glance. Maybe you did that intentionally though in which case it works to subdue them. Especially since the real focus of the map is the biking/walking routes. But I like a little more separation or contrast between those two natural features. Not a big, big deal though.

Great work, like it alot!

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • United States

I agree with Michael, nice map(s)! I wish we had something like that where I live. You guys keep making me want to move to Portland! :lol:

One thing about the blue/green - it may be more distinguishable on a paper map. Green especially often looks very different on screen vs. printed material. But even if the pdf is a good representation of the paper product I think it's fine. It's background information, so I don't mind if there isn't a strong difference between the 2.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

You guys keep making me want to move to Portland! :lol:

There's room for more map geeks (even ones from CA). We have good drinking water too!

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Boundary Maven

Boundary Maven

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • United States

Wow, thanks for the compliments! That's very nice to hear.

One of the problems we have with this series is the park color. It's a very hard color for printers to hit accurately and it tends to wander from map to map, so we made it fairly neutral. I agree that a little more contrast would be better, but then sometimes we get parks that overwhelm all the other info because the green is too saturated.

Boundary Maven

Boundary Maven

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • United States

Hey Maven, first impression I had was great job! Very professional design, very clean, good choices of fonts for readability - and especially placing the black road text against the white background so readability is the best. I know you probably would have liked to have made the font size a little bigger overall but I bet it's one of those trade offs to not clutter the map with so much information. I struggle with that too. I really like it alot. I can tell you are very well schooled in design as your layout in attractive, organized, and consistent especially trying to present all of that information. I like the legend too and your use of white negative space overall. Your line spacing overall is very good too. Helps readability. And that added touch under the scale of how long it takes to walk or bike a 1/2 mile is one of those nice little value-added tidbits that give an extra helpful surprise relevant to your target audience. Probably the only things I can see improved is the font size for better readability and maybe tweeking the colors of the park grass/and or the water color. When they are adjacent to each other they both become neutral and blend into one visually upon first glance. Maybe you did that intentionally though in which case it works to subdue them. Especially since the real focus of the map is the biking/walking routes. But I like a little more separation or contrast between those two natural features. Not a big, big deal though.

Great work, like it alot!

Yep, the font is right on the edge of being too small, I agree. It's just so darned crowded...

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Critiques? Kudos? Criticisms?

I love Portland! I was just there for a business trip and could have used your map. <_< You'll have to let me know where I can get them when they are finished so that the next time I'm in Portland, I'll be well armed. :)

Ok, in regards to Critiques:
As the other have pointed out, small font and blue/green color issue. Maybe, where there is room, increase the space between the letters just a tad for added readability?

Kudos:
Very nice layout. Really like all the added info along with the legend. Really makes for an informative piece of literature and not just a map.

Will you hate me if I steel your design? Well, maybe not the whole thing, but parts of it?

Isn't that the best form of flattery, imitation? :D
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

[/quote]

I call it "innovative following!" ;)

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

Boundary Maven

Boundary Maven

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • United States

Critiques? Kudos? Criticisms?

Will you hate me if I steel your design? Well, maybe not the whole thing, but parts of it?

Go for it. I'm all in favor of sharing design ideas when it comes to map making. The world needs more good maps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->