ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Has anyone else experienced this message when opening a document in Illustrator CS3 with Mapublisher 8.0?

"Could not read the file because the plug-in could not understand the file"

I have two files that I can't open. They opened fine 20 minutes ago. I'm also confident the file isn't corrupt.

I've done the usual Illustrator fixes:

restarted Illustrator
restarted the computer
deleted my aiprefs file
deleted the entire Adobe CS3 settings folder
uninstalled Mapublisher and I'm getting the same error message, which is interesting. I assumed the issue was with MP.
said a few prayers
wept and sold my soul

I searched the Adobe forums and came up with nothing useful. I have a couple of back-ups that open just fine, but I'll lose a couple hours of work and I'd like to solve this issue once and for all. It's been popping up for the past month. Normally it occurs when I open a second Illustrator file with one already open. The fix is to restart Illustrator. This is no longer working.

Ideas?

- Erin

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Problem mostly solved.
Here's where I'm at. It might be useful for someone down the road. :)

1. Since the problem was "plug-in related", I started by removing each of the plug-in folders one by one and then restarting Illustrator and testing one of the bad projects.
2. After removing several folders, I was finally able to get the file open when I removed "Photoshop Adapter.aip" within the "Photoshop Filters" plugin folder. It was one of the only files in there that I had no idea of it's function, so I started there. Makes, sense, right?
3. When I opened the file, Illustrator warned me that this plug-in was needed in order to open a PNG file called "bground_09.png". A-ha.
4. Next, I went to the layers palette to learn more about the suspicous PNG and found a file with the same name, but of a different file type. A-ha.
5. Then, I went to the Links palette where I found an entry for "bground_09.png" ....the file that's nowhere to be found in the layer palette.
6. I deleted the placed file in the layers palette and doing so deleted the mystery file in the links palette.
7. I returned "Photoshop Adapter.aip" to it's home in the Plug-ins folder and opened the document without any trouble.

It seems to me that the problem is with "updating" in the links palette. In the links palette you can "relink" or can "update a link". Maybe I relinked when I should have updated a link or the other way around. Although it blows my mind that neglecting to follow proper linking procedure would crash a document. Any insight into the intricacies of the link palette would be great. There's also the chance I used the link palette correctly and it's just buggy as hell. The file now opens as it should. I love these "round-about semi-solutions".

Does anyone know the function of "Photoshop Adapter.aip" ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->