• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Hi guys I have been testing my limits as a cartographer by re-producing a map of the Cape Breton Highlands. This project was largely done using MaPublisher with the LabelPro extension. So far on my first attempt on a recreational map it has taken me about 50 hours of map production time, that includes several revisions & I still have not completed the surround.

The images are screen shots taken from the file & as a result are not to the 1:60000 scale.

Attached File  screen5.jpg   128.74KB   95 downloads Attached File  screen1.jpg   97.66KB   80 downloadsAttached File  screen4.jpg   107.04KB   54 downloadsAttached File  screen3.jpg   107.57KB   83 downloadsn3.jpg]Attached File  screen2.jpg   109.03KB   54 downloads

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Can you post a sample at the intended scale (or link to the PDF)? In the screenshots the hillshade layer appears to be very coarse.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I will admit I never really got all that much training with DEM's but never the less here's the link to the PDF.

PDF

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

I will admit I never really got all that much training with DEM's but never the less here's the link to the PDF.

PDF

Hasdrubal It may just be my eyes but the Terrain looks to be inverted!!

Design looks nice, clean and easy to look at.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Actually, I'm seeing that too. Rivers on top of ridges, that kind of stuff...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Actually, I'm seeing that too. Rivers on top of ridges, that kind of stuff...

It might be because of the topograpghy . . . having been there this summer, Cape Breton Highlands is essentially a 500 m plateau with deep valleys along its edges. I don't see the rivers running on top of mountains but I do see some misalignment happening between the rivers and the DEM (southern end of the park, for instance). The DEM does look a little rough.

Also . . . what projection did you use? What do the little white circles with a black outline represent (e.g. Boarsback, Mackenzie Point)?

Overall it looks good - clean and simple.

jrat

jrat

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • United States

The hill shade does seem to me to be coarse for this scale. Other than that It looks fine. I don't see it inverted. I am not familiar with the area but it looks to me to be fairly flat with some cut in streams. If that is the case you would get dark and light bands on the hill shade identifying the river banks.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Canada

It might be because of the topograpghy . . . having been there this summer,

I was there on July 7, perhaps I might have run into you at some point not even knowing who you were.

Cape Breton Highlands is essentially a 500 m plateau with deep valleys along its edges. I don't see the rivers running on top of mountains but I do see some misalignment happening between the rivers and the DEM (southern end of the park, for instance). The DEM does look a little rough.

There are three reasons why this could be happening: 1) I created one dataset from a georeferenced image, (the same one you got at the park entrance), 2) the roads, contours, & location points taken from the Nova Scotia Geomatics Centre, & 3) I have checked the rivers & the lakes & as a result of not locking my layers I have encountered a few situations where I had to select all the features & had to fix the alignment.

As for the southern end I just checked the contours & there is something wrong with the values, now perhaps something happened in the clip but after checking it there are several values that are reading incorrectly, for example on a line that should be reading 440 metres I am seeing 0 metres & 0 feet. Looks like I need to correct those values.

Also . . . what projection did you use? What do the little white circles with a black outline represent (e.g. Boarsback, Mackenzie Point)?

NAD83(CSRS) / UTM zone 22N @ 1:60000
The circles are location points.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Great start - this is a good experience for you.

Yes, the hillshade must be redone correctly and in finer, smoother detail.

Labels:
1. consistent spacing from object labeled (i.e. Seal Cove vs Fishing Cove)
2. bigger river text - same size as lake text
3. mountain peak symbol - this would be what the mountain text would be aligned to
4. Add kerning to geonames and align them to path (i.e. Ingonish Barrens)
5. Difference between type seems huge - from smallest type to largest type - can you enlarge all small type so they are within a few orders of magnitude similar to other type? You seem to have plenty of blank space to accommodate this.

Other things: Is that the most detailed park boundary? It looks a little coarse

Again, awesome exercise for learning. I think hillshading is your last big hurdle here (plenty of tutorials and Cartotalk pointers).

Thanks for sharing!

Crischan

Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Spatial Information Design
  • Germany

Hm, I do see the hillshading inverted...
Crischan Wygoda
http://wygoda.net

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

I was there on July 7, perhaps I might have run into you at some point not even knowing who you were.

I was the one looking like a cartographer. :D
We missed each other - I was there at the end of July / beginning of August. Great place to be.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Canada

I have reproduced two more samples of the digital elevation model. This time I used the transfer selection tools instead of a direct clip to the municipality feature.

Attached File  New_CT_8.jpg   28.15KB   36 downloads
DEM produced in feet

Attached File  New_CT_7.jpg   19.63KB   29 downloads
DEM produced in metres

Is that the most detailed park boundary?

That was derived directly from the Nova Scotia GIS dataset with a little add on. Believe me though I'm looking for an alternative because I'm not in love with the boundary either.

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Canada

James, the reason some people see your relief as "inverted" is that the light source is coming from the east. The usual convention is to use a NW light source. Although this is "inaccurate" in the northern hemisphere, studies have shown that this is the light angle that most people recognize as "correct"; i.e., 3D features become more readily recognizable. Try changing your light angle to NW and see the difference. BTW, what app are you using to process the DEM? (It looks suspiciously like Manifold, which uses a counter-intuitive sun angle by default.)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Canada

James, the reason some people see your relief as "inverted" is that the light source is coming from the east. The usual convention is to use a NW light source. Although this is "inaccurate" in the northern hemisphere, studies have shown that this is the light angle that most people recognize as "correct"; i.e., 3D features become more readily recognizable. Try changing your light angle to NW and see the difference. BTW, what app are you using to process the DEM? (It looks suspiciously like Manifold, which uses a counter-intuitive sun angle by default.)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

It's Manifold, unfortunately it's the only program I have to produce a DEM.

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Canada

It's Manifold, unfortunately it's the only program I have to produce a DEM.

Try View > Display Options. Set azimuth to 315 degrees.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->