Andreas Michos

Andreas Michos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Greece

Hello fellas,
I am currently working on a project for recreational maps, at relatively large scales. My goal is to create elevation profile graphs for specific routes, showing the total ascent and descent, the highest and lowest altitude of the route as well as the total distance covered. My paths(lines)contain all the necessary information(z-height values) and I have the DEM and the contours needed. The question is: Is there such a program that can do this job automatically or in an easy way? I use Arc Map at the momment. Any suggestions and help are highly appreciated.
Andreas

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Manifold can produce elevation profiles however I'm thinking that certain features along the trail such as bridges, ranger stations, picnic sites should all be labeled. Anyways are you planning on a straight out GIS project or are you planning to send it to Illustrator or CorelDraw?

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Andreas Michos

Andreas Michos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Greece

Manifold can produce elevation profiles however I'm thinking that certain features along the trail such as bridges, ranger stations, picnic sites should all be labeled. Anyways are you planning on a straight out GIS project or are you planning to send it to Illustrator or CorelDraw?

Thanks for the reply. The whole map is composed in Illustrator. The map itself is created in the ArcMap environment. I am looking for something that is for free. Manifold is a good idea I will give it a try. However, does anyone have any more ideas for something more straightforward?

Mike Boruta

Mike Boruta

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

Do you have 3D Analyst with your copy of ArcMap? If so, then it will do exactly what you want ("profile graph") and then you can pretty it up in Illustrator. Here is a link: http://webhelp.esri...._profile_graphs

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello Andereas,

I have a client who has also requested an elevation profile. I wasn't sure how to make one, and I played around with ArcMap to confirm that I could create one. I was successful, but I can't remember how I did it. I created it sometime back. I think that all you need is a DEM and an open polyline (trail). However, I may have used linear referencing to create a route of my hiking trail (i.e. created a start and end point of my polyline).

Attached is the profile that ArcMap created (which I exported from ArcMap as an .SVG). This profile is raw and unfinished but I am attaching it to show what ArcMap can create.

Hopefully someone else can guide you through the exact steps.

Do you have any hiking maps of Paros? I'm going there for a 2 week vacation this Saturday.

kru

Attached Files

"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

jakel

jakel

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Borga's suggestion is the best method if you have ArcInfo. If not, you can just do it in Excel and then bring that graph into Illustrator. You just need three attributes in the table: 1) FID - Column A; 2) Elevation (column B); 3) Horizontal length of each segment (XY change along the path - column C) . Using #3, you create a new attribute for accumulating/progressive sum (distance traveled after traveling each segment - column D). You can do this by ordering the table along the path (probably sorting by FID) and writing a simple excel formula in a new column. The first cell's value (D1) will be the sum of the horizontal lengths of the first two segments (C1+C2). Every cell thereafter will add the length of the next segment to the cell above it (C3+D2, C4+D3, etc). Your final graph will be the accumulated sum (column D) on the X axis and your elevation (column B) on the Z axis.

If FID doesn't work as a means to sort the table you can sort it by some means geographically in GIS, then assign an order value to a separate field.

cartdeco

cartdeco

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Australia

Hi Andreas,

I have created a workflow to do this using ArcGIS (+3D Analyst extension), Microsoft Excel and Illustrator (using the Graph tool). In short, the workflow is complicated, but you do get a very accurate result.

I have created a Powerpoint presentation on how to create the cross sections, which is too large to upload here. If you would like a copy please contact me directly and I can email it.

Attached Files

Craig Molyneux
Spatial Vision
www.spatialvision.com.au
www.svmaps.com.au
craig.molyneux@spatialvision.com.au

Andreas Michos

Andreas Michos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Greece

Hello Andereas,

I have a client who has also requested an elevation profile. I wasn't sure how to make one, and I played around with ArcMap to confirm that I could create one. I was successful, but I can't remember how I did it. I created it sometime back. I think that all you need is a DEM and an open polyline (trail). However, I may have used linear referencing to create a route of my hiking trail (i.e. created a start and end point of my polyline).

Attached is the profile that ArcMap created (which I exported from ArcMap as an .SVG). This profile is raw and unfinished but I am attaching it to show what ArcMap can create.

Do you have any hiking maps of Paros? I'm going there for a 2 week vacation this Saturday.

kru

hey razornole!!
Thank you very much for the reply. I think I can manage with the profile..
Now, about the map of Paros. We did one last year,100% fieldwork and it is the most accurate and up to date map of Paros so far. The scale is 1:35000 and you you can buy it from any shop in Paros, in Athens or at the Athens airport. You will need to ask for the SKAI map of Paros(our company is called TERRAIN but the publisher is called SKAI). Anyway, try this link to get an idea: http://shop.skai.gr/...p...8287&ct=317
Our company' s website will be out in the following days.
Thanks again

Andreas Michos

Andreas Michos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Greece

Borga's suggestion is the best method if you have ArcInfo. If not, you can just do it in Excel and then bring that graph into Illustrator. You just need three attributes in the table: 1) FID - Column A; 2) Elevation (column B); 3) Horizontal length of each segment (XY change along the path - column C) . Using #3, you create a new attribute for accumulating/progressive sum (distance traveled after traveling each segment - column D). You can do this by ordering the table along the path (probably sorting by FID) and writing a simple excel formula in a new column. The first cell's value (D1) will be the sum of the horizontal lengths of the first two segments (C1+C2). Every cell thereafter will add the length of the next segment to the cell above it (C3+D2, C4+D3, etc). Your final graph will be the accumulated sum (column D) on the X axis and your elevation (column B) on the Z axis.

If FID doesn't work as a means to sort the table you can sort it by some means geographically in GIS, then assign an order value to a separate field.

This is a great workaround!!
Thank you Jakel

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello Andereas,

kru

hey razornole!!
Thank you very much for the reply. I think I can manage with the profile..
Now, about the map of Paros. We did one last year,100% fieldwork and it is the most accurate and up to date map of Paros so far. The scale is 1:35000 and you you can buy it from any shop in Paros, in Athens or at the Athens airport. You will need to ask for the SKAI map of Paros(our company is called TERRAIN but the publisher is called SKAI). Anyway, try this link to get an idea: http://shop.skai.gr/...p...8287&ct=317
Our company' s website will be out in the following days.
Thanks again

Thanks Andreas,

Unfortunately, I didn't get this reply before I left but that didn't matter as I found your map anyways. I always look for maps as my wife shops for travel memorabilia. Your map was well done, armed with it, a moped, and my feet I was able to explore nearly every meter of that island. My favorite was hiking along the SE coast, and jumping into the water when I got hot.

Hopefully you were able to get some field research in for this project.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

ki0eh

ki0eh

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

Do you have 3D Analyst with your copy of ArcMap? If so, then it will do exactly what you want ("profile graph") and then you can pretty it up in Illustrator. Here is a link: http://webhelp.esri...._profile_graphs

I have a similar problem, I have 2D shapefiles of the hiking trail route (over 500 km in one case), access to LiDAR DEMs (10,000' x 10,000'), and ArcGIS 10 with 3D Analyst and some other extensions. However I do not have access to training courseware or colleagues working as a volunteer for a shoestring nonprofit, and I must be too dumb to figure out how to do this by using just the program help.

I used to use search engines to find college tutorials but I can't find any for 10.

Would someone be able to take pity on me and give me a few baby steps to get the profile graph out of ArcGIS 10 (not 8, not 9, but 10)? Thanks.

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

I have a similar problem, I have 2D shapefiles of the hiking trail route (over 500 km in one case), access to LiDAR DEMs (10,000' x 10,000'), and ArcGIS 10 with 3D Analyst and some other extensions. However I do not have access to training courseware or colleagues working as a volunteer for a shoestring nonprofit, and I must be too dumb to figure out how to do this by using just the program help.

I used to use search engines to find college tutorials but I can't find any for 10.

Would someone be able to take pity on me and give me a few baby steps to get the profile graph out of ArcGIS 10 (not 8, not 9, but 10)? Thanks.

Is 10 that different from 9.x?

kru
Strabo 22AD

ki0eh

ki0eh

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

Is 10 that different from 9.x?

Well I didn't know how to do it then either. :)

I've gotten to the point of creating a file geodatabase, and putting a mosaic of my 10000'x10000' tiles into it. However, even though I've found (with some help from another forum) how to get the 2D shape file exported into the geodatabase, and I can trace the interpolate line and get a profile graph, I still seem to be missing some way of getting the 2D shape file into the file geodatabase in some way that will convince the file to actually draw. Do I really need to just create a new line layer in the file geodatabase and desk digitize 600 km of trail?? Is there just no way to get a 2D shape file to recognize and somehow draw Z information from the mosaic of DEM in the way that the interpolate line command does??? I could really use some pointers because I use the software in isolation.

Thanks for any help.

katzmoye

katzmoye

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • United States

I've gotten to the point of creating a file geodatabase, and putting a mosaic of my 10000'x10000' tiles into it. However, even though I've found (with some help from another forum) how to get the 2D shape file exported into the geodatabase, and I can trace the interpolate line and get a profile graph, I still seem to be missing some way of getting the 2D shape file into the file geodatabase in some way that will convince the file to actually draw. Do I really need to just create a new line layer in the file geodatabase and desk digitize 600 km of trail?? Is there just no way to get a 2D shape file to recognize and somehow draw Z information from the mosaic of DEM in the way that the interpolate line command does??? I could really use some pointers because I use the software in isolation.

Thanks for any help.

You should be able to convert your 2D line into a 3D line using the Interpolate Shape tool in the Functional Shape tool set within the 3D Analyst toolbox. It will interpolate heights from your surface layer. Then you can use the create profile graph tool on that layer.

BTW I didn't have to put anything into a GDB - I used a test shapefile I created in one directory, and a LiDAR snippet we had on our server.

david17tym

david17tym

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • United Kingdom

load height data grid and trail into arcmap (make sure the coordinate systems are the same)

using 3d analyst >> Convert >> Features to 3D

this produces an output file that has the height info from the grid tagged onto the trail lines

select the trail

click Create Profile Graph on the 3D Analyst toolbar

right-click in the Profile Graph window and select Export

select Data

leave Format as text

use commas to delimit the file

click Save...

select an output workspace and name for the export file

edit the export file in a text edit program

you will see somthing like this:

X,Feature Profile 1
etc...

first number represents length along trail and second number is the height info

change the first line to:

X,Y
etc...

and save

load export file into arcmap

right-click and select Display XY Data

X Field is X
Y Field is Y

no need to set a coordinate system

you will now see the trail's profile represented by points

use Points to Line tool (http://help.arcgis.c...0003s000000.htm) to convert the points into a profile line

change map and display units in the data frame properties to meters and apply scale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->