• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

chris henrick

chris henrick

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:cartography, graphic design, geography, urban studies, political ecology, cycling, percussion
  • United States

Hello,

I am new to cartography and am very excited about it. I recently finished my undergrad in geography and urban studies at Temple University in Philadelphia but now live in the SF bay area. I also had previously studied fine art, mainly drawing and printmaking, at University of the Arts in Philadelphia for several years before I decided to switch to geography. I took a couple intro classes in both GIS and cartographic productions at Temple, but am leaning more towards the end of wanting to design maps rather than be a GIS analyst. I'm currently enrolled in illustrator and graphic design classes at a post baccalaureate program.

I am also currently working on a project with the help of a professional cartographer in the Philadelphia area of creating a print map with an online component for a bicycle touring route in Pennsylvania. The map will be similar to what the Adventure Cycling Association does, sort of like a fold up guide book / map. Right now I am still researching a lot of the route data and talking to interested people from various bicycling advocacy organizations.

I figured the best way to get into cartography was to just jump right into it, create something, and have my name on it as a sample for future work. I am still very much a beginner and learning as I go, so having the support of experienced professionals would be a huge help. I am unsure at this point whether or not to pursue further certification / credentialing in school at this time, but am open to exploring programs that relate to cartography, geography, and political ecology.

Thanks everyone, and I look forward to becoming a part of the carto talk community!

-Chris
-Chris

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • United States

Welcome, Chris! Sounds like you're off to a good start with your background and working on the bike route mapping project and all!
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Welcome to Cartotalk Chris! There is a good bike-map cartographer in the Philly area named Steve Spindler. I assume that who you're working with? I am starting an update/re-print of a regional Bike map for the Portland, OR area, and will be diving into bike mappery soon.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hi Chris - Glad you found us - welcome.
I also have a GIS background, but fell in love with map making, so now I aim to do a bit of both.
Attending the NACIS conference in Sacramento in early October is a good way to meet some of us and talk shop.

chris henrick

chris henrick

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:cartography, graphic design, geography, urban studies, political ecology, cycling, percussion
  • United States

Welcome to Cartotalk Chris! There is a good bike-map cartographer in the Philly area named Steve Spindler. I assume that who you're working with? I am starting an update/re-print of a regional Bike map for the Portland, OR area, and will be diving into bike mappery soon.

Hi Matthew, yes I'm actually working with Steve. He's a great person to work with and I"m very excited about the project.
Are you a cartographer in portland? And are you working for the city and/or a cycling advocacy organization there? I'd be very interested to see your project. Portland is by var the most bike friendly city I've visited in the states. I really enjoyed spending time there, it seems like a great place to live.

Send me your email if you don't mind, mine is chrishenrick[at]gmail.com

thanks for the response and I look forward to seeing your map!

-Chris
-Chris

chris henrick

chris henrick

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • United States

Welcome, Chris! Sounds like you're off to a good start with your background and working on the bike route mapping project and all!

Thanks for the warm welcome Dave, I'm very excited to have found this great resource. I should also add that I will be at the NACIS conference in October and am looking forward to it. Are you planning on going? I take it ESRI will have a large presence there?
-Chris

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the warm welcome Dave, I'm very excited to have found this great resource. I should also add that I will be at the NACIS conference in October and am looking forward to it. Are you planning on going? I take it ESRI will have a large presence there?

Yes, I'll be there. I've been going for about 11 years now. There will be a few other cartographic-minded ESRI folks there as well. I always look forward to the NACIS meetings. It's a great group of people with all sorts of backgrounds and interests in various aspects of cartography! Will this be your first meeting?
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Matthew, yes I'm actually working with Steve. He's a great person to work with and I"m very excited about the project.
Are you a cartographer in portland? And are you working for the city and/or a cycling advocacy organization there? I'd be very interested to see your project. Portland is by var the most bike friendly city I've visited in the states. I really enjoyed spending time there, it seems like a great place to live.
-Chris

I work for Metro, the MPO in the Portland region, and met S. Spindler at a NACIS conference a few years back (Salt Lake '05?) - a great guy.

Metro has been making a regional bike map since 1983 and I have worked on the last 3 versions (since '01), although the first bike map of Portland was completed in 1896. Perhaps that's why we are such a bike friendly city - we've been at it for a long time. :lol:

You can order a copy of Bike There! online for a decent $6 (I don't think we've changed the price for 10 years).

Hopefully we can chat in Sacramento.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

chris henrick

chris henrick

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • United States

Yes, I'll be there. I've been going for about 11 years now. There will be a few other cartographic-minded ESRI folks there as well. I always look forward to the NACIS meetings. It's a great group of people with all sorts of backgrounds and interests in various aspects of cartography! Will this be your first meeting?

Yes, it will be my first and I'm looking forward to it. The topics for the discussion panels all look very engaging. If you like, we could exchange photos through email so we can meet person at the conference. My email is chrishenrick [at] gmail.com
-Chris

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • United States

Yes, it will be my first and I'm looking forward to it. The topics for the discussion panels all look very engaging. If you like, we could exchange photos through email so we can meet person at the conference.

NACIS is a friendly and open group of people. Even for a shy introvert like me it's not hard to find friendly faces. :)
If you want to meet you can ask around for me. I think a few cartotalkers and Nacites could point me out to you or introduce us. Or just look for the old guy with the ponytail; that's probably me! :lol:
See you in Sacramento. :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Tim Stallmann

Tim Stallmann

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

Hi Chris (and all)! I'm also just getting started free-lancing, taking some time off in the middle of graduate work in geography over at UNC Chapel Hill. My interests are more on the data-visualization end of things, making maps of interesting data-sets or making interesting data to map. I've done some work for local non-profits and the local independent weekly paper, as well as some bigger projects with a cartography working group at the university. Headed to Sacramento in a few weeks for my first NACIS conference and hoping to meet some other folks just starting out as well as get more advice from some of the 'old-timers' out there... you and any of the other 'new-comers' lurking out there interested in organizing a meet-up?

-Tim

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Chris (and all)! I'm also just getting started free-lancing, taking some time off in the middle of graduate work in geography over at UNC Chapel Hill. My interests are more on the data-visualization end of things, making maps of interesting data-sets or making interesting data to map. I've done some work for local non-profits and the local independent weekly paper, as well as some bigger projects with a cartography working group at the university. Headed to Sacramento in a few weeks for my first NACIS conference and hoping to meet some other folks just starting out as well as get more advice from some of the 'old-timers' out there... you and any of the other 'new-comers' lurking out there interested in organizing a meet-up?

There's going to be a panel discussion at NACIS about running a small carto business, which I think would be very interesting for anybody who's either freelancing or thinking about freelancing.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

chris henrick

chris henrick

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • United States

There's going to be a panel discussion at NACIS about running a small carto business, which I think would be very interesting for anybody who's either freelancing or thinking about freelancing.

that's great! do you happen to know which day and time?
-Chris

chris henrick

chris henrick

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • United States

-Chris

I work for Metro, the MPO in the Portland region, and met S. Spindler at a NACIS conference a few years back (Salt Lake '05?) - a great guy.

Metro has been making a regional bike map since 1983 and I have worked on the last 3 versions (since '01), although the first bike map of Portland was completed in 1896. Perhaps that's why we are such a bike friendly city - we've been at it for a long time. :lol:

You can order a copy of Bike There! online for a decent $6 (I don't think we've changed the price for 10 years).

Hopefully we can chat in Sacramento.

great, I look forward to meeting you in Sacto.
-Chris

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

that's great! do you happen to know which day and time?

Thursday, October 8th, 4:30 - 6 pm

And on a more general note, NACIS is a great event and there will be plenty of opportunity to meet with and talk to other attendees.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->