4 replies to this topic

jbl

jbl

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

US Census Tigerline files are nice to have as a resource since they are free as public domain. Problem is that they are not updated to current and since the early 2000's local roads and arterial/connector roads have not been separated as a class. They also are severely lacking in almost everything else except hydrology and parks, ie...POI's, landmarks.

For my own use I decided to update my home county tiger 2008 file with new street paths, for which I found a (nationwide) source and georeferenced them in. I also created a new feature class (MTFCC1300) for the arterial/connector roads (by means of a join with an older file) and removed these from the class MTFCC1400 local roads so they could be properly symbolized separately. Custom POI and landmark data (schools, government buildings, golf, etc, etc) is readily available and fairly easy to add as new shape files.

Since there are 3,000 US counties +/-, this is obviously not something I would try to do myself but I was wondering if there might be enough interest in some sort of collaboration from other users for maybe a clearing house, with each user providing their own county and possibly nearby ones not done by others.

Standards would have to be adopted and some sort of exchange network set up.

I don't know if users outside the US would have much interest in this or much use for the data but they would certainally not be excluded, especially since they seem to be the majority here anyway.

If there is no interest in this I will just continue on the files as I need them but I have developed a few shortcuts along the way and the second one will be much faster than the first. If I could afford the 15-20 K US dollars I would just buy the data, but I can't.

Thanks,
jbl

Dave McIlhagga

Dave McIlhagga

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Canada

Since there are 3,000 US counties +/-, this is obviously not something I would try to do myself but I was wondering if there might be enough interest in some sort of collaboration from other users for maybe a clearing house, with each user providing their own county and possibly nearby ones not done by others.

I think you could probably gain a lot by syncing this with the efforts of OpenStreetMap - www.openstreetmap.org - which was setup to accommodate producing freely available geographic data of many kinds. The road network is what OpenStreetMap is best known for, but there are many other types of data that have been contributed such as extensive POIs.
Dave McIlhagga

www.mapsherpa.com

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Okay if there is any interest at all are you willing to pay or are you suggesting that you want free labour? Because I don't think you will get any interest unless your willing to pay up.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

jbl

jbl

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

I think you could probably gain a lot by syncing this with the efforts of OpenStreetMap - www.openstreetmap.org - which was setup to accommodate producing freely available geographic data of many kinds. The road network is what OpenStreetMap is best known for, but there are many other types of data that have been contributed such as extensive POIs.

I guess that the word collaboration has a different meaning in Nova Scotia than it does in Kansas USA. I was not soliciting anyone to do this for me either for pay or otherwise and I certainally didn't solicit any 'free labour'. If you read my entire message I used the word collaboration. A collaboration suggest a pooling of resources for the common good.

Anyway nevermind as no US counties are in Nova Scotia, unless you wanted to do one or some in Maine. No just nevermind I will just continue without this suggested venture.

jbl

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Okay if there is any interest at all are you willing to pay or are you suggesting that you want free labour? Because I don't think you will get any interest unless your willing to pay up.

Hasdrubal,
I don't think JBL is looking for free labor at all. It's a legit request. Personally, I consider your response much more of a solicitation. What if the end result benefited the community as a whole? Isn't that getting "paid" too?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->