23 replies to this topic

David25

David25

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Canada

Here's the updated map. I've kept with Tahoma until I can decide on a better one. ArcView has loads of fonts but not that many good ones in my opinion........

Is the highway label sizing too small now?? It's ok for me but maybe not for everyone.

I still note one problem to take care of and will do in due course (rivers into South Dakota). For now though is there anything else to change?

Ps: What is wrong with Tahoma being used in U&lc? I've never heard of this before......

Attached Files

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Here's the updated map. I've kept with Tahoma until I can decide on a better one. ArcView has loads of fonts but not that many good ones in my opinion........

Is the highway label sizing too small now?? It's ok for me but maybe not for everyone.

I still note one problem to take care of and will do in due course (rivers into South Dakota). For now though is there anything else to change?

Ps: What is wrong with Tahoma being used in U&lc? I've never heard of this before......

Dave,
I think the map is a big improvement from the first but you dont have to follow every suggestion.
The comments above are often personal preferences, not map laws
Now that your map has been purged of some pretty obvious 'beginner's mistakes' and has a more professional look to it, you can still experiment and add personal touches to it.
If you like one font, size, colour or look over another then go for it.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

David25

David25

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Canada

Dave,
I think the map is a big improvement from the first but you dont have to follow every suggestion.
The comments above are often personal preferences, not map laws
Now that your map has been purged of some pretty obvious 'beginner's mistakes' and has a more professional look to it, you can still experiment and add personal touches to it.
If you like one font, size, colour or look over another then go for it.
[/quote]

Thanks,

I understand they are personal preferences but thought I'd go with them as I made the assumption that everyone is more knowledgable is this subject that me at the moment. But I'll take your advice. I actually think all suggestions have been valid so far but I agree I should stick with a font that I like. Of course, if there is one I should be using for this type of map I'd appreciate someone saying so.

I'm glad you think it's a big improvement from the first. It's funny looking back at the first one now! I'll certainly be saving all the comments for future maps that I do.

Thanks!

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • United States

I agree with Jean-Louis. You've been very brave posting this and very open to all of our comments!

Taken from a knowledge base article titled "FAQ: What font formats does ArcMap support?":
"ArcMap 9.x recognizes and uses TrueType fonts(*.ttf), PostScript Type 1 fonts (*.pfm) and OpenType fonts (*.ttf, *.otf)."
So the fonts available are up to you, the user.

I think Dennis was saying spacing out the letters when the font is mixed case doesn't look good, not that you can't used mixed case with that font.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Much better. Lisbon is missing the word pop. I think all the pop. lines should be the same size as Minot's, so they're clearly secondary to the name. Personally, I'd put the pop. figures in italic as well.

Most designers consider it poor practice to letterspace anything other than all caps.
"A man who would letterspace lower case would steal sheep." —Jan Tschichold
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

David25

David25

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Canada

These have all been very helpful comments, thanks.

Yeah perhaps it has been an act of bravery to post so many times!! But I have learnt an awful lot just from these postings and replies. My only experience in this whole field is a GIS program I took last year. There was a Cartographic Design course that was easily the most interesting and my personal favourite but was skimmed over so fast I felt I didn't learn as much as I could have. This way, I'm kinda teaching myself on the basics I know and the rest I'm getting from you pro's.
I will most likely post up a new one soon enough for your opinions too. While waiting to get a job it's all I can do to spend my days keeping busy! At least I'm keen:)

PS: Yes it was my misunderstanding Dennis. I thought you were saying that with Tahoma you should never use U&lc together..........it got me confused for a minute! All clear now though.

DrJill

DrJill

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

It is this kind of thread that makes me love CartoTalk. The iterative replies and responses (in map form) are I'm sure instructive to many readers in similar situations. David, yes brave, and your follow through on the feedback you've received (not needing to follow to a tee...) has not only improved your map but also enhanced the feedback ;) nice job.
Jill Saligoe-Simmel
Ortelius™ – map illustration software for Mac OS X
www.mapdiva.com

dadge

dadge

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

I think the village names are in slightly too small a font.

If you go back to using a key, "over 20,000" should be >20,000 rather than +20,000

Adrian

Richard Nie

Richard Nie

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:GIS Software Engineer<br />Navigation Map/GIS/GPS
  • China

is there other dashed border line?i think the bondary line is not matched the map perfect.
GIS Programmer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->