21 replies to this topic

Boundary Maven

Boundary Maven

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • United States

Many cities have a Visitor Information Bureau that offers tourist maps similar to what you're describing. Try googling "(City) Visitor Information" and email requests for maps. I'm sure you'll get lots of positive responses.

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Many cities have a Visitor Information Bureau that offers tourist maps similar to what you're describing. Try googling "(City) Visitor Information" and email requests for maps. I'm sure you'll get lots of positive responses.

Good idea Boundary Maven. I know Reno has a bike map of the Reno/Lake Tahoe region, I'll have to see if they list any businesses on that. I'm sure there are tons for San Francisco and Sacramento - those should give me lots of ideas.

Thanks!
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

FYI we don't accept any advertising or paid listings on our map, so we were free to select and edit listings as we saw fit (and as space allowed). We spent quite a lot of time on editorial issues.

Yeah, I've often wanted to just do a map for the fun of it and not put any advertisements on it but, like I said before, there are already tons of recreational maps for the area that include some business info. I wouldn't be doing this unless my friend/business owner approached me about it and she thought going the route of paid advertisers could work. We'll see how it goes.

And, yes, I imagine that the editing process will be quite involved. However, Truckee is a very small town. I can walk the length of it in about forth minutes.

Cheers,
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

SBlumberg

SBlumberg

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • No Country Selected

I'm not sure if this what you are looking for but ESRI has a series of map templates you can use. Here is the link for a community trails map: http://resources.esr...;scriptID=16376
This is of course if you are using ArcGIS to create your maps.

westcoastmapguy

westcoastmapguy

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:ATV, Computer, Hockey, Music and Mapping.
  • Canada

I have a question. I local merchant approached me with the idea of putting together a local recreation map that would show hiking/biking trails in conjunction with merchant locations. So, like, here's the trail head, here's what the trail is like, here's how long it is, etc., and here is where you can get a cup of coffee before your hike and here is where you can eat lunch/dinner after your hike.

I'm just wondering if there are any map design examples out there of something like this and whether it's a useful venture to undertake.

Personally, if I do it, it would be mostly to get my business name out but I'm curious if anyone can actually make money off of maps like these.

Any thoughts?

I have lots of experience with this topic. I use the trade name Super Map. The business works very well have sold over 50,000 maps to date and have just ordered 400,000 for the Whistler 2010 Games check out the Map Gallery ro contact me directly.

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

I'm not sure if this what you are looking for but ESRI has a series of map templates you can use. Here is the link for a community trails map: http://resources.esr...;scriptID=16376
This is of course if you are using ArcGIS to create your maps.

Yes, I will be using ArcMap, and that's a great looking template! Might just be the thing to start from.

FYI - I am stilling working on this, but it got put on the back burner. Just getting it back out to the front burner. ;)
------
Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

I have lots of experience with this topic. I use the trade name Super Map. The business works very well have sold over 50,000 maps to date and have just ordered 400,000 for the Whistler 2010 Games check out the Map Gallery ro contact me directly.

Thanks for the offer westcoastmapguy, I may take you up on it. ;)
------
Esther Mandeno

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->