21 replies to this topic

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

I have a question. I local merchant approached me with the idea of putting together a local recreation map that would show hiking/biking trails in conjunction with merchant locations. So, like, here's the trail head, here's what the trail is like, here's how long it is, etc., and here is where you can get a cup of coffee before your hike and here is where you can eat lunch/dinner after your hike.

I'm just wondering if there are any map design examples out there of something like this and whether it's a useful venture to undertake.

Personally, if I do it, it would be mostly to get my business name out but I'm curious if anyone can actually make money off of maps like these.

Any thoughts?
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Check out the map gallery & do an internet search on National Park Maps.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

I have a question. I local merchant approached me with the idea of putting together a local recreation map that would show hiking/biking trails in conjunction with merchant locations. So, like, here's the trail head, here's what the trail is like, here's how long it is, etc., and here is where you can get a cup of coffee before your hike and here is where you can eat lunch/dinner after your hike.

I'm just wondering if there are any map design examples out there of something like this and whether it's a useful venture to undertake.

Personally, if I do it, it would be mostly to get my business name out but I'm curious if anyone can actually make money off of maps like these.

Any thoughts?

you can make money off maps like this, esp if you sell advertising space to the listed businesses and have a wide distribution. good luck.

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Check out the map gallery & do an internet search on National Park Maps.

Hello Hasdrubal,

Yes, I've done that and a lot of my other maps are based on the National Park map/brochure design because, well, they are just good. But I was just looking for ideas. You know, if there was something that you particularly liked and wanted to share. However, I think I found one that I like. It's actually an old tourist map I got when I was vacationing down in Santa Barbara.

Thanks for the advice!
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

you can make money off maps like this, esp if you sell advertising space to the listed businesses and have a wide distribution. good luck.

Yeah, that's what the merchant who approached me about it said. That it was all about getting advertisers. She would get the advertisers for me and I guess do the distribution. All I'd have to do is make a logical, pleasing map. :)

Thanks!
------
Esther Mandeno

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Yeah, that's what the merchant who approached me about it said. That it was all about getting advertisers. She would get the advertisers for me and I guess do the distribution. All I'd have to do is make a logical, pleasing map. :)

Thanks!

For a light, fun, and touristy map I like Frankos maps - there may be design elements that can inspire you.

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I like what Pink Parrot Maps do, the way the info shows on the maps...

http://pinkparrotmaps.com/

It could be an inspiration on how to place the merchants' information.

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

For a light, fun, and touristy map I like Frankos maps - there may be design elements that can inspire you.

I forgot all about Frankos maps!! Thanks! :)
------
Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Oh wow. I've never seen Pink Parrot Maps. I really like the clean lines and the way they fit in the merchant info.

When I come up with a decent design and get it half way done, I'll post in the Map Gallery so you all can tear it up, oh, no, I mean, offer suggestions to improve it! :)

Thanks!
------
Esther Mandeno

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • United States

Thanks!

That sounds like a good arrangement to me. She does the stuff I wouldn't care to do and you get to make maps. :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

That sounds like a good arrangement to me. She does the stuff I wouldn't care to do and you get to make maps. :)

Yeah! My first thought was: are you kidding me? Of course, I'll do the map if you want to do all the dirty work! ;)
------
Esther Mandeno

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Yeah! My first thought was: are you kidding me? Of course, I'll do the map if you want to do all the dirty work! ;)

Hi, I looked at where you were from and it really reminds me of living in Bishop, CA where I used to work for the Forest Service. I have never been there but drove by Lake Tahoe.

Have you take a look at the Forest Service maps to get the idea ?

Robert

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Hi, I looked at where you were from and it really reminds me of living in Bishop, CA where I used to work for the Forest Service. I have never been there but drove by Lake Tahoe.

Have you take a look at the Forest Service maps to get the idea ?

Robert

Hey Robert,

I have a few versions of the Tahoe National Forest maps as well as lots of others. This area is well mapped. Which is one reason why I haven't really tried to enter the fray - there's just so much competition, and they are really good! So, to compete with all of them, I'd have to come up with something fairly original.

But, like I said, this merchant (she owns a shop downtown selling leather purses she makes herself) noticed a need. There were always people coming into her shop and asking where they could go for a hike/bike and a place close by to the trailhead to eat. She finds herself drawing maps on pieces of paper all the time. So...she called me and well, here I am.

So the concept is that the map would be a local travel/play guide. Hmm, that got me thinking. Maybe I should check out the Lonely Planet guide maps! Good idea!

Thanks!
------
Esther Mandeno

Renee

Renee

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Maps, travel, languages, Thailand, travel, street food outside of North America, books, my daughter, my husband, my jack russell terrier, anything and everything.
  • Canada

Thank you, Francios!

Renee

Renee

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Maps, travel, languages, Thailand, travel, street food outside of North America, books, my daughter, my husband, my jack russell terrier, anything and everything.
  • Canada

Oh wow. I've never seen Pink Parrot Maps. I really like the clean lines and the way they fit in the merchant info.

When I come up with a decent design and get it half way done, I'll post in the Map Gallery so you all can tear it up, oh, no, I mean, offer suggestions to improve it! :)

Thanks!

Thank you, Esther. I'm looking forward to seeing your map. FYI we don't accept any advertising or paid listings on our map, so we were free to select and edit listings as we saw fit (and as space allowed). We spent quite a lot of time on editorial issues.

Cheers,
Renee
Pink Parrot Maps
www.pinkparrotmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->