6 replies to this topic

Gamik

Gamik

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • India

Hi all,

I really do not belong here so please bear with me...

I am translating a document on synchronization of distributed spatial data from French into English. In this document, the word "recalage" appears:

Si l’intégration était immédiate, il faudrait, à chaque nouvelle réception d’une mise à jour déjà traitée, défaire et refaire les actions, avec tous les problèmes de recalage que cela implique.

In an e-mail, the author explains the term in French:

En information géographique on parle de probleme de recalage lorsqu'on ajoute de l'information sur une carte et que cette information n'est pas située exactement à l'endroit ou elle devrait etre normalement.
Par exemple, j'ajoute une route a ma carte mais cette route est mal placée et traverse une riviere alors qu'elle devrait la longer.. Il faut donc proceder a un recalage pour bien placer celle ci...

Can any bilingual speaker suggest an English term for "recalage"?

Thanks a ton.

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Well if seems to me that it can simply be translated as 'repositioning'
Unless there is a specific English cartographic term for what this fellow mentions.
I would ask others if they know of such a map-specific term.

The French says:
"I have a 'recalage' issue if I discover geographic information misplaced on my map and have to put it in its rightful place. For example, if I have a road on my map that mistakenly crosses a river instead of correctly running along side, then I need to do a 'recalage'

I would be tempted, if no specific english term exist, to coin a new one like 'recasting'
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Or may be re-geocasting.... Or re-geopositioning or a short form regeopos..

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Well if seems to me that it can simply be translated as 'repositioning'
Unless there is a specific English cartographic term for what this fellow mentions.
I would ask others if they know of such a map-specific term.

The French says:
"I have a 'recalage' issue if I discover geographic information misplaced on my map and have to put it in its rightful place. For example, if I have a road on my map that mistakenly crosses a river instead of correctly running along side, then I need to do a 'recalage'

I would be tempted, if no specific english term exist, to coin a new one like 'recasting'

Yep! It means you'll have to re-georeference your image, entirely or with a geographic correction.

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

Can any bilingual speaker suggest an English term for "recalage"?

Not bilingual, but are we sure this doesn't mean "recalibration"? "Calage" means (I think) "calibration", but I could easily be wrong about this.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Spain

I think "registration" or "alignment" would be best. The French Wikipedia page for recalage goes into some detail and describes how images are aligned so that their data can be superimposed in the same coordinate system, which is called registration in GIS; the matching English Wikipedia page is entitled "image registration". "Alignment" is less technical and more descriptive.
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

Gamik

Gamik

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • India

I think "registration" or "alignment" would be best. The French Wikipedia page for recalage goes into some detail and describes how images are aligned so that their data can be superimposed in the same coordinate system, which is called registration in GIS; the matching English Wikipedia page is entitled "image registration". "Alignment" is less technical and more descriptive.

I am the OP.

Thank you, all. Based on your responses, I suggested the following to the author: repositioning, recasting, regeopositioning and regeocasting.

She immediately chose "repositioning". She does not have to submit the paper until Tuesday so I will also suggest "alignment", "calibration", and "registration" to her. Maybe she'll find one of these better.

Once again, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->