Simmer

Simmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Trinidad and Tobago

Hello!

I´m looking for a software that can detect buildings on aerial images and mark them, for example, as red shapes.
There is plenty of theory about this everywhere but I could´t find a single tool that can do this:

http://www.commissio...ueller_Zaum.pdf
http://www.nlpr.ia.a...s/gjhy/gh62.pdf
http://geodesy.space...bs/nmc-2003.pdf

I know there are several companies that offer this service for extreme prices, but given the fact that the information about how it´s working is publicly available in so many free PDFs, I wonder if there isn´t a tool that costs "just" a few hundred dollars or even freeware.

Bests,
Simmer

Simmer

Simmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Trinidad and Tobago

No one who knows anything concerning this?
Not sure if the whole thing was a dump question or if this is really something that has never been done in a public software.

Bests,
Simmer

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Not sure if the whole thing was a dump question or if this is really something that has never been done in a public software.

We did this in college using Idrisi, basically the prodecure was that we'd "taught" it the colors that roofs can have and then let it sort through aerial photos and mark those pixels. A side-effect was that it found an airport runway too... (similar colors). That's a raster process though.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I would look into the software from Visual Learning Systems. Their Feature Analyst might do just what you want and it works inside of ArcGIS.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

dstaas

dstaas

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

We did this in college using Idrisi, basically the prodecure was that we'd "taught" it the colors that roofs can have and then let it sort through aerial photos and mark those pixels. A side-effect was that it found an airport runway too... (similar colors). That's a raster process though.

Erdas and Idrisi can both be used as remote sensing tools to extract the data. In my class last year we were given the task of extracting vineyard locations in the Finger Lakes from orthoimagry. One student was able to get about 95% accuracy but it took a lot time refining of the ranges and the creation of multiple bands to differentiate from regular agricultural fields.

Depending on your imagery and AOI this could be fairly simple or a very time consuming process to complete via Idrisi or Erdas.

Simmer

Simmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Trinidad and Tobago

I would look into the software from Visual Learning Systems. Their Feature Analyst might do just what you want and it works inside of ArcGIS.

That´s exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a million!
I just worked though some of the tutorial and what this tool achieve do seems very promising to me. But one still has to consider that the quality of the tutorial images is rather good. Just ordered a evaluation license and will do some further testing with other imagery...

Bests and thanks again,
Simmer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->