• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello,

I am having difficulties with the connect paths plug-in from the Institute of Cartography at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology with Illustrator CS4. When I run the plug-in it will only connect a select few line segments, and half the time it will duplicate the line segment. Even if I just select two line segments and run the plug-in it won't connect them.

All my tricks that worked in CS3 don't cut it in CS4 (i.e. simplify paths, only select a few paths at a time etc...). Does anybody know how to make this command run properly in CS4, or know of an additional script/plug-in that will do the same thing? Currently I have about 52,000 segments that make up approximately 800 contour lines/isohypse. Way too many to join manually in Ai. And that is just one side of the map, then I will have to do the same thing with streams, roads, etc...

Thanks,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Spain

Hi Kru, can you post an example file so I can take a look at it?

Thanks.
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Do you want me to post an AI file?

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

Hello Siteatlas,

Attached is a jpeg of my current situation. Not sure if this is what you were looking for.

BTW, thanks for all your efforts with the translations.

kru

Attached Files

Strabo 22AD

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Spain

Do you want me to post an AI file?

kru

Yes, just a stripped-down version of the AI file you are working on. I'd like to try it myself and see if I get the same result.
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

I don't think that I can upload an ai file. Message below reads...

Upload failed. YOu are not permitted to upload this type of file

kru
Strabo 22AD

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Spain

Please email it to me at mborop [at] gmail.com.
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

You can zip it first?

I frequently use the JET_JoinNearest.js script, from the JET PathScripts collection, that James Talmage has put together - he is a script wizard and a regular (or used to be) on the Adobe Illustrator forums.

http://www.illustrat...PathScripts.htm
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

Thanks Frax,

I didn't try zipping it, but we communicated via e-mail. We still couldn't figure out the problem.

I have all the JET scripts, and the problem with join nearest is that it will automatically close open line segments with a straight line. There are a lot of open line segments with the contour that are clipped on the edge of the artboard.

kru
Strabo 22AD

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

Update with the connect path filter. For whatever reason if the path is closed and has greater then 100 vertices, the filter will not connect the path. If the path is open (a river, road, contour that goes off the edge of the map), the filter will connect it regardless of the amount of vertices. At least I have not found an upward limit yet.

Anyone good at writing scripts and would like to fix that?

kru
Strabo 22AD

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

Update with the connect path filter. For whatever reason if the path is closed and has greater then 100 vertices, the filter will not connect the path. If the path is open (a river, road, contour that goes off the edge of the map), the filter will connect it regardless of the amount of vertices. At least I have not found an upward limit yet.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what this filter does, but how does one connect two adjacent paths if one is closed? You mean it compounds it with the other path?

MAPublisher has Join Lines functionality but I'm not sure what it would do in that situation either, so I'm curious.
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

Bernhard Jenny

Bernhard Jenny

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

Kru,

The connect paths plug-in has been updated recently and the bug should now be fixed. You can now join segments to generate paths with up to 8193 control points.

Please note that the connect path plug-in only supports open lines, i.e. line segments that form a closed polygon are not merged.

Regards,
Bernie

Bernhard Jenny
Institute of Cartography, ETH Zurich

EJHutzler

EJHutzler

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Switzerland

Dear Kru

If you want to generate closed path by several open-path
you have to apply the following trick:
Move an end point of one path a little bit and generate
an open connected Path. Move back the end point.
After them close the Path by
ClosedPath.aip

I hope you have success.
Sincerely Ernst

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->