7 replies to this topic

joseph

joseph

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Australia

Hi guys!

I'm fairly new to GIS and to ArcGIS. I'm currently attempting to model an area for a project on Tsunamis and their affects on the coastline. I was hoping to be able to model a region and create an animation in which to present. Is it possible to model these affects using ArcGIS and if so, how?

I have already gathered all the data required, i just need a method developing the model.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Joseph

axel

axel

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Sweden

I am not sure I can help you out with the visualisation per se, but I am very interested in you project! I am involved in a research project regarding the 2004 tsunami impact along the Phang Nga, Thai coast line myself.
I do have been playing around with the thought of using Sketchup for a simple 3D visualization of the water runup. I did some tests and it just might be doable. But I am still in the process of collecting the data I need/want. I was hoping to have a presentation ready this winter (5 yrs since the tsunami), but as this is just a hobby of mine, it might take a long time to finnish. If it ever will happen... :)

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Joseph - you may want to check in with ESRI modeling and civil engineering forums for this sort of subject.

What is the end result you are perusing?

joseph

joseph

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Australia

Joseph - you may want to check in with ESRI modeling and civil engineering forums for this sort of subject.

What is the end result you are perusing?

hi mapmedia!

im hoping to be able to create an animation to model the affects of a tsunami varying on the intensity of water pressure over a coastline. This is to show the areas of land that would be affected if a tsunami was ever to occur.

i heard it could be possible with ArcHydro? but i have never used ArcHydro so i dont have a clue!

joseph

joseph

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Australia

I am not sure I can help you out with the visualisation per se, but I am very interested in you project! I am involved in a research project regarding the 2004 tsunami impact along the Phang Nga, Thai coast line myself.
I do have been playing around with the thought of using Sketchup for a simple 3D visualization of the water runup. I did some tests and it just might be doable. But I am still in the process of collecting the data I need/want. I was hoping to have a presentation ready this winter (5 yrs since the tsunami), but as this is just a hobby of mine, it might take a long time to finnish. If it ever will happen... :)

wow axel, that does sound like an interesting hobby! good luck with it and if you do happen to come across any tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

Any of the ArcGIS hydrology modeling tools such as ArcHydro (part of HEC-GeoRas) will require either the 3D analyst extension or spatialanalyst extension (2500USD each). HEC is not for the faint of heart, and really should be used by someone in that field. I'm not sure if it can be used to model tsunamis, but it is meant to model flooding. I've seen FLO-2D used to model hurricane flooding and can output as shapefiles which could be used to build a water surface. I think if you plan on using ArcGIS you will need the 3D analyst extension to do animations.

Hope that helps,
David

joseph

joseph

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Australia

Any of the ArcGIS hydrology modeling tools such as ArcHydro (part of HEC-GeoRas) will require either the 3D analyst extension or spatialanalyst extension (2500USD each). HEC is not for the faint of heart, and really should be used by someone in that field. I'm not sure if it can be used to model tsunamis, but it is meant to model flooding. I've seen FLO-2D used to model hurricane flooding and can output as shapefiles which could be used to build a water surface. I think if you plan on using ArcGIS you will need the 3D analyst extension to do animations.

Hope that helps,
David

Hi David,

i have access to both extensions. but what is HEC-GeoRas? do i install that to run ArcHydro?

i would be happy with a model that shows flooding.

Thanks,
Joseph

Malcolm RH

Malcolm RH

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

I'm not really a coastal person, but I used to work a lot with ArcHydro - and it is probably not what you are looking for. ArcHydro has some terrible algorithms and a fairly rigid data structure. Like many ESRI products it is probably best used when you have a large database with many users, and your organization likes the ESRI formats.

When you say this is a project about the effects of a tsunami on coastline, are you just modeling the flooding? If so, you can fairly easily reclassify or mask elevations at different heights above sea level, getting out a bunch of images which can be made into an animation by any number of software (depends on what you have access to - I bet other people in here have a better clue than me).

However, if the effects you are interested in are erosion, or other shore processes, welcome to the fun world of geomorphic modeling. If that is what you need to do, you could probably spend years learning how to 'model' complex wave and sediment physics.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->