Ed Gage

Ed Gage

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

Hello all,
Can anyone suggest how I might label a map with the label information offset from the feature and joined to it by a line? I'm working on a map of planting zones along a meandering stream, and each of the polygons needs to be labeled with 6 lines of text, each about 10 characters long - a small paragraph of text. Using the default labeling engine in ArcMap (9.2), and printing at the page size I selected (ANSI C), the labels obscure the features themselves, but in general, there's a lot of extra white space around the margins of the map. I'm guesing that this is not easily accomplished, at least without something like Maplex, but figured I'd ask the group. Any advice is appreciated.
Ed

Attached Files

Dustin Edge

Dustin Edge

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Australia

Hi Ed

that's easily done in ArcGIS. Under the labels tab, click on Symbol, scroll to the bottom to find one called Bullet Leader. Alternatively, you can click on the properties of your default text and under Advanced Text - Text Background you have the options of balloon callouts or line callouts.

However, once that's done you will need to convert your labels to annotation to be able to physically move them off to the side. There are placement properties you can fiddle with (along with position properties) to ensure that your features aren't covered by the labels and the labels sit on either side of the feature, but I find its easy to move the labels to a desired location when they exist as annotation.

Hope this helps

Dustin
Kind Regards,

Dustin

Dustin Edge
Snr GIS Analyst
AECOM Australia

Rusty

Rusty

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Dustin is so right...convert those to annotations and move around.
Labeling in ArcMap even using Maplex is a bugger...

Ed Gage

Ed Gage

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the information!
Kind regards,
Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users