- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Natalie Dolphin

Natalie Dolphin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

I am trying to create a shapefile for Home Depot locations in select Ohio counties that recycle CFLs. This is the process I used:

1. I made an Excel sheet with the addresses and coordinates (in decimal degrees and in the same column).
2. I tried several times to join and relate this document to an Ohio counties shapefile.
3. On the joins page I chose: county name as the field in the layer that the join will be based on; my Excel document as the table to join the layer; and latitude longitude as the field in the table to base the join on.
4. I exported the data as a shapefile and the only result I got was another Ohio counties shapefile, but no locations for the Home Depots.
5. I repeated the process with relates and got the same result.

I also tried another route:

1. Saved the Excel sheet as a .dbf.
2. Used the Tools function in ArcMap then went to Add XY data.
3. Browsed for the table to add as a layer and picked my Excel sheet.
4. X and Y fields only let me select ZIP.
5. Coordinate System info wouldn't let me edit or choose a coordinate system.

I browsed the GIS forum and got some ideas (the second route was from the forum), but now I am out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Natalie

jrat

jrat

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • United States

Ok if your goal is to have a point map of home depot location in select counties in ohio the seccond procedure you attempted is the one you want to use. Your excell spreadsheet should have everything in separate colums. (ie. Lat, long, address number, street name, city, state, county, zip, ext) Then use ArcCatalogue (no need to save as .dbf with 9.3) to create your point file. Find your .xls file and your table is probably in book 1. Use the create feature class from xy table. Choose your Long colum as your x values and Lat as your Y values. The values in these colums must be in a numerical format and in decimal degrees. Once you have the new feature class you can use your counties layer to select only the locations you want to show.
There are alot of good help on ESRI's help functions.

On the relate/join issue. If you had counties as a colum in your excell table you could join/relate the rest of the colums in the excell table to the Counties attribute table in the GIS but you would still have the county polygons as the shape.

Also if you have the addresses you can use a geocoder to create points based on the address. I think that a global address locator ships with Arcmap. It might not be accurate for detailed maps though.

good luck

randall

randall

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

In Excel, I have found that you have to format the cells to be "numbers" and they have to have the same number of decimal places before you can save them out as DBF or access them in GIS. Highlight all your XY data and right click in Excel. Click format cells. Click number and your desired number of decimal places. Save the file and try you steps outlined again.

Good Luck!

I am trying to create a shapefile for Home Depot locations in select Ohio counties that recycle CFLs. This is the process I used:

1. I made an Excel sheet with the addresses and coordinates (in decimal degrees and in the same column).
2. I tried several times to join and relate this document to an Ohio counties shapefile.
3. On the joins page I chose: county name as the field in the layer that the join will be based on; my Excel document as the table to join the layer; and latitude longitude as the field in the table to base the join on.
4. I exported the data as a shapefile and the only result I got was another Ohio counties shapefile, but no locations for the Home Depots.
5. I repeated the process with relates and got the same result.

I also tried another route:

1. Saved the Excel sheet as a .dbf.
2. Used the Tools function in ArcMap then went to Add XY data.
3. Browsed for the table to add as a layer and picked my Excel sheet.
4. X and Y fields only let me select ZIP.
5. Coordinate System info wouldn't let me edit or choose a coordinate system.

I browsed the GIS forum and got some ideas (the second route was from the forum), but now I am out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Natalie

Ricktig

Ricktig

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Hello:

I'm a new user to ArcGIS 9.3 and would like to take a list of long/lats in Excel (2003 or 2007) and crate a shape file. When I use ArcCatalog to try to locate the xls or xlsx file, it does not show up. Do I need to do something in ArcCatalog to have it use Excel files? Thanks!

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Hi

I have imported numerous text and dbf files in ArcGIS 9.2 but not an excel file. I found text and dbf format are dealt really efficiently by 9.2. So save these excel files down and import. If you are still finding it tough send it over to me.

Anu
http://www.mapsandlocations.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->