Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Hello Everyone,

I've have worked on a map that is currently at the print shop and I should have posted it up here for feedback way back when but I didn't. Sadly, whatever mistakes are on it will be printed 1,500 times. Yikes! However, in an effort to improve my work on other maps, I thought I'd post them anyway and see what I can do differently next time.

All and any suggestions welcomed!

Back side:
http://www.digitalma.....20Back v9.jpg

Map side:
http://www.digitalma...m... Map v9.jpg

I've never figured out how to successfully upload to a post... :(

Thank you for your time,
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Part of it is a fairly tight limit on uploaded image size. Those are pretty big files you posted. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I especially like the black-and-white aerial inset. I think I might use that myself.

I saw more problems with the main map side, frankly. I liked the design in a general sense: clean, good typography, nice color palette, but:
- The hierarchy of trails isn't echoed visually: you can't tell that a "Class 1" is somehow a "better" road.
- I am always frustrated by slope maps that don't show directionality. You're not alone in this. Use of the ski-slope-type symbols is interesting, but it's not clear which stretches of road they apply to.
- I was at a complete loss for sense of scale without actually looking at the scale bar. Not sure why, but maybe it's the relative lack of labeled roads, or clues from land-cover artwork... not sure, but it kind of bugged me.

Hope this is helpful...

Nat

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Part of it is a fairly tight limit on uploaded image size. Those are pretty big files you posted. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I especially like the black-and-white aerial inset. I think I might use that myself.

I saw more problems with the main map side, frankly. I liked the design in a general sense: clean, good typography, nice color palette, but:
- The hierarchy of trails isn't echoed visually: you can't tell that a "Class 1" is somehow a "better" road.
- I am always frustrated by slope maps that don't show directionality. You're not alone in this. Use of the ski-slope-type symbols is interesting, but it's not clear which stretches of road they apply to.
- I was at a complete loss for sense of scale without actually looking at the scale bar. Not sure why, but maybe it's the relative lack of labeled roads, or clues from land-cover artwork... not sure, but it kind of bugged me.

Hope this is helpful...

Nat

Hello Nat,

Thank you for reviewing! Do you mind elaborating? If so, here are my questions. Would you use the same color for the bike routes but thicker lines or what? What do you mean by slope directionality? Was it unclear what was a hill and what wasn't? I never did like the ski slope symbols (or any symbols) to show road difficulty but that's what the folks wanted, so that's what they got. Sense of scale issue...again, I'm at a loss. Because I live in Truckee, it's all so clear to me, but obviously, this map is for visitors. What would you add to give a sense of scale? We didn't want too many road names because, well, at some point, someone decided that we should only name the main roads. It's a map by committee. ;)

Thanks for any more help you can offer!
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Spain

I like the ski slope symbols, but I agree with Nat that it isn't obvious which way the hill is going at first glance, the user would need to take a good look at the contours and relief shading. If you're coming from one direction, a black diamond means a fun downhill ride, but coming from the other direction, the same symbol means the opposite: a steep hill to climb (bad news, if you're a wimp like me). So you might consider adding arrows to show the direction of the uphill climb, for example.

By the way, I really like your map, and I think the ski slope symbols are clever and especially fitting for that resort-studded area.
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

I like the ski slope symbols, but I agree with Nat that it isn't obvious which way the hill is going at first glance, the user would need to take a good look at the contours and relief shading. If you're coming from one direction, a black diamond means a fun downhill ride, but coming from the other direction, the same symbol means the opposite: a steep hill to climb (bad news, if you're a wimp like me). So you might consider adding arrows to show the direction of the uphill climb, for example.

By the way, I really like your map, and I think the ski slope symbols are clever and especially fitting for that resort-studded area.

Oh, I wasn't sure what Nat meant! Now I understand. Argh! Hadn't even thought of that. Obviously, I know what's up and what isn't. I'll see what I can do for the next round that will make that clear.

Thanks!
------
Esther Mandeno

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->