David25

David25

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Canada

Hi,

Just a couple of extremely minor points but when I took my GIS program we were always told to make the scale text something whole, so instead of your 1:378,000 make it 1:380,000 or 1:375,000. Minor I know but something I was taught.

One other thing a Pro Cartographer recently told me is that with the scale bar it is always better to use something like 60-80% grey instead of black. It's a trick of the eye that using black makes distances seem longer as there is a black line to seperate distances.....if that make sense. Basically, grey makes things appear more exact to the eye.

Minor but just something to think about perhaps!!

Dave.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Just a couple of extremely minor points but when I took my GIS program we were always told to make the scale text something whole, so instead of your 1:378,000 make it 1:380,000 or 1:375,000. Minor I know but something I was taught.

I'd go even further and leave the scale factor off. As soon as somebody copies that map and applies some scaling, the scale factor is off. A scale bar on the other hand will always be the correct size.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Casey Souder

Casey Souder

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

I'd go even further and leave the scale factor off. As soon as somebody copies that map and applies some scaling, the scale factor is off. A scale bar on the other hand will always be the correct size.

I didn't want to have the written scale, but I was told to include it by my boss. I'll bring it up again, and see if I can remove it.

... with the scale bar it is always better to use something like 60-80% grey instead of black.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Casey Souder
Amateur Cartographer

Bob_N

Bob_N

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

It drives me crazy that ArcMap doesn't have a spell check.

Yeah! This is an excellent question. If one is to "finish" a map (adding textual-content, legends, and other map furniture) using ArcGIS, it ought to have a spellchecker. I don't think I've heard this request before, but I am sure ESRI has over time. It's a good one.

There's a script, at least for the layout text : Spell Check for Text Elements Within Layout.

I didn't try it, but it could be useful. I think it must use MS Word Spellchecker.

I have used the ArcScript for spell check and it is ok. However I find it easier to just copy and paste my text into Microsoft Word and back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->