18 replies to this topic

Casey Souder

Casey Souder

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

Hi all,

I have look at this site for many times to look at others cartography work to get new ideas for what I could do on my own work, but have never posted before.

This is going to be my first "published" map. I have made many poster size maps in the past that have been used at conferences and small maps to be used in scientific journals, but this is the first poster that will be professionally printed and distributed. The map is the second in a series of research maps being released by the USDA Forest Service that highlight research that is being accomplished by the agency. Here is a link to the first map in the series so you have an example of what the series is aiming for: LINK

My poster will also come with a booklet that fully describes how the data was created, and a CD-ROM with the original dataset and metadata.

Any suggestions on how to improve my map would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Casey Souder

Attached Files

Casey Souder
Amateur Cartographer

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Any suggestions on how to improve my map would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Casey,

Welcome to Cartotalk!

My mind has a hard time decoding your legend. The colors seem rather haphazardly appointed to the different feature-types. Try and group similar features in your legend. Why have Pine, Spruce, Fir on opposite sides of the legend from Tamarack and Cedar (unless specifically called out somewhere on the map).

Given the scale of the map, it is very difficult to depict all the different land-cover classes in colors that are appealing and meaningful. That said, my main suggestion would be to work on the colors for the different land cover classifications a bit more.

Having some major cities and roads on the index maps might help.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Emily Martin

Emily Martin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi Casey,

I agree with Matthew's comments on the legend items and colours; perhaps you could also assign similar items - like the pines and grassland/shrubland/wetland - different colour scales to accentuate their similarity. On first looking at the legend, I thought your name was the title :( Not every reader will be as dim as me in this regard, but a box around the legend or line separating it from the text would make sure of it.

As someone unfamiliar with the area and the state boundaries, it took me a while to realise that the wiggly line through the middle is not a river. I'd suggest extending it beyond the boundary of your classified area to draw more attention to it, and add labels for Minnesota and Ontario. Since you've used grey to depict urban areas, maybe a different colour would be better.

Sticking with the grey theme, the two tones on the extent maps work well. Choosing something like greens here would give the map more personality and also tie-in with the colours of the logos in the opposite corner. It's personal preference but I'd swap the words "See Map to Right" for zoom-lines (which I'm sure have a proper name) connecting the corners of the box with the second frame. There needs to be more labels here too, like states and the name of the region shown.

Why not add the park outlines to the main map? Land cover classes seems to correlate with Quetico Provincial Park in particular .

The text in the map description looks great following the mapped area's outline but you have some strange line breaks in there. There's also a full stop (or period or whatever you folks across the pond call it) missing at the end after "Conservancy". In the italicised text at the bottom of the page I'd rephrase a couple of bits: it's not quite clear whether "They may be developed from sources of differing accuracy" is referring to the GIS data or the product accuracy, and you should lose the 'or' in "Using GIS products for purposes other than those or for which they were created". I'm a bit of stickler for grammar :D

Lastly, you could give an indication of the resolution(s) of the data on the map for completeness. Oh, and it could just be my viewer but the logos seem quite pixelated relative to the rest of the map.

Hope this helps!

Emily
Emily Martin
Petroleum Geoscientist
Bournemouth, UK

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" - Albert Einstein

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello Casey,

I might be repeating some things that have already been mentioned, but I shoot from the hip anyways.

Layout
With the layout, the legend is lost. If it weren't from the splash of color, I wouldn't notice it at all. To me your sponsors are the highest on the VH. They shouldn't be competing with the title at all, and in this case they dominate (most likely do to the size, location, and color). Suggestion, move you legend to the top right area, and make you sponsors smaller to the bottom left. To me the title could be inverted as well, i.e. this is a land-classification map of the Border Lakes Region.

Map
I'm lost. The geographic integrity has been compromised. As a geographer, cartographer, and someone who recently spent seven days in the BWCA, I still don't know where I am. Can't find Four-Town Lake. This map need some geographic references (cities, county lines, lake names, something) other then the country border (which should be labeled or included in the legend). I echo the color choices for the legend/map seem hap-hazard.

Page-Layout
Soft returns in the map description need to be fixed. Why have a separate suggested citation and references? I wouldn't suggest anything, I'm sure you used it so just put it with your references. Chaos reigns with subject justified text, center justified text, and left justified text; don't have 3 different styles on as many paragraphs/columns. Pick a justification style and use it throughout, and that will pull all your text together as one element.

These of course are just some thoughts and suggestions. You have a pretty good map that could use some tweaking to be a lot better in my opinion. Unfortunately, I feel your subject matter is best left in the GIS environment, it is damn near impossible to map 15 categories on a thematic map. I can be done just not communicative.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

One other thing, the italicized text needs to go. It hurts my eyes to read an italicized paragraph.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • United States

The previous comments cover most of what I was thinking.
minor nitpick - the margins between various text blocks and the data appear to vary. The block of legal text in the lower center in particular seems a bit crowded in relation to the data.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Casey Souder

Casey Souder

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have made some changes, so it is time for another go around of suggestions.

Here is a link to the updated map (for some reason I couldn't get it under 1mb, so I hosting it on my other business's website): proof_08192009.pdf

The colors seem rather haphazardly appointed to the different feature-types

When the colors were being decided we did try to group similar colors with similar cover-types. This didn't always work out, but we tried. Also the colors look completely different between my monitor and the printer version. Colors that look similar (or too harsh) on screen are actually good when printed.

In the italicised text at the bottom of the page I'd rephrase a couple of bits

This text was given to me and I was told to put it on the map with that exact wording. I'll mention this to my higher ups, but I doubt that it will be changed.

the logos seem quite pixelated relative to the rest of the map

It is the file, I am exporting the map at only 72dpi to conserve space. They are crystal clear when exported at the proper resolution.

Why have a separate suggested citation and references?

This map is considered a stand-alone reserach product. The suggested citation is how to cite the map and the references are our list of material that was used in the project.

Thanks,
Casey Souder
Casey Souder
Amateur Cartographer

Casey Souder

Casey Souder

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

Thanks for your help so far. I have made many of the suggested changes. Some things are out of my hands though (legend colors, legal text, etc). I'll mention some of these thing to my higher ups, but it unlikely they will be changed. Here is a link to a updated map.

proof_08192009.pdf (~1.3mb)

Keep the comments coming.

Thanks,
Casey Souder
Casey Souder
Amateur Cartographer

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • United States

Hey Casey,

IMO it looks a lot better. I'm not a big fan about the neat-line around the legend, but that is your choice. I rarely use neat-lines, but many do. How about some standard ligatures with "fi" on classification in your title? Your international border stands out much better. Is there anyway to emulate the same line work on your insets (not the weight but style)? Maybe instead of a trapezoid with your map description and references, use a diagonal line that follows the map border throughout. Or at least have the grid match your insets on the right side. The base/bottom grid doesn't seem to match up with your insets, text column (USDA), scale, and (the USDA prohibits). They should all be on the same base-line. Seems to be off just a bit.

Hope this helps,
kru
Strabo 22AD

Casey Souder

Casey Souder

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

I'm not a big fan about the neat-line around the legend, but that is your choice.

I generally don't like neat lines either, but the legend seemed to be floating there with out it.

The base/bottom grid doesn't seem to match up with your insets, text column (USDA), scale, and (the USDA prohibits). They should all be on the same base-line. Seems to be off just a bit.

Fixed. ArcMap loves to snap things weird. It makes me want to pull my hair out some times.

How about some standard ligatures with "fi" on classification in your title?

I have never used ligatures before (didn't even know what they were until I looked it up), and I like the way it looks. Thanks for the tip, I will have to added in to my bag of tricks for future maps.

Thanks Again
Casey Souder
Amateur Cartographer

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Casey,

How about changing the classification to smoother from Nearest Neighbor to Bilinear Neighbor ? Not sure if this is appropriate for this classification imagery ?

Just thought....

Robert

cicero85

cicero85

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Sweden

Hej,
I just found a Typo. There might be more of them in the text.
Instead of

USDA Forest Dervice

it should be USDA Forest Service
What is the Audience for this map?
Is there a special reason why you use multiples of 8 for the scale bars? At least for the metric one I would go with a decimal system.

bye

Kilian

Casey Souder

Casey Souder

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • United States

Hej,
I just found a Typo. There might be more of them in the text.
Instead of

USDA Forest Dervice

it should be USDA Forest Service
What is the Audience for this map?
Is there a special reason why you use multiples of 8 for the scale bars? At least for the metric one I would go with a decimal system.

bye

Kilian

I just noticed that typo, and one other too. It drives me crazy that ArcMap doesn't have a spell check.

The map will be available to the public, but is targeted toward research scientist to highlight the research that is being accomplished by the Forest Service.

As far as the scale bar goes, the reason it is multiples of 8 is because that size is what fit in the space available without the first subdivision having a decimal. Also I like having both sides of the scale end at the same value.

Thanks
Casey Souder
Amateur Cartographer

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

It drives me crazy that ArcMap doesn't have a spell check.

Yeah! This is an excellent question. If one is to "finish" a map (adding textual-content, legends, and other map furniture) using ArcGIS, it ought to have a spellchecker. I don't think I've heard this request before, but I am sure ESRI has over time. It's a good one.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

It drives me crazy that ArcMap doesn't have a spell check.

Yeah! This is an excellent question. If one is to "finish" a map (adding textual-content, legends, and other map furniture) using ArcGIS, it ought to have a spellchecker. I don't think I've heard this request before, but I am sure ESRI has over time. It's a good one.

There's a script, at least for the layout text : Spell Check for Text Elements Within Layout.

I didn't try it, but it could be useful. I think it must use MS Word Spellchecker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->