Photo

Where can I learn about cartography in China?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

leahgreen

leahgreen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • China

I don't know a thing about cartography, but I have studied a little astronomy. I only just discovered that cartography exists (haha) and am completely fascinated. I want to learn MOREmoremore...but I live in Beijing. My Chinese...exists, but isn't good enough yet to peruse Google.com.cn for where I might learn about cartography.

So, any suggestions? I'm posting here because it appears there is a sort of international cartographic society. Anyone know of any institutions or associations in Beijing? Or should I just wander about until I stumble across a shop that sells old maps? Chinese maps are interesting, by the way. The ones I've found are on vertical wooden slats. Any advice is appreciated. :)

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

You could learn a lot right here, but it helps to have (1) formal training, or (2) a curriculum for self learning.
It all depends on what your goals are (i.e. to make complex maps, or simple web graphics, etc.).

I came into cartography after I had settled down with a family and was not able to go back to school (working full time, moving to Europe), so I took the self-learning path which included lots of books, forums (such as Cartotalk) and geography/cartography curriculums found online at major geography schools. Three years into it, I can say the work is there, but like anything, you always want to do what you do better PLUS master new techniques and challenges, whilst staying abreast of the tech curve.

If you go to Amazon / com and search for cartography you will find many good 'foundation' texts.

good luck on your journey!

smellykev

smellykev

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Australia

Hows it going there now with the cart study in China?

Whereabouts in Beijing are you?

I was in hunan province for over a year and had all kind of plans for getting into some kind of mapping work or gis while i was there...even thinking about making up a series of tourist maps or similar (in english, korean, and japanese).

However, i kept hitting walls. I was working at a univeristy (teahcing english) and tried using my 'guangxi' to meet the right people....

China being china however, even after meeting government officials and so on, i was still the 'laowei'. Doing anything related to maps etc as viewed with immense suspicion and distrust... and i realised that walking or riding around with a GPS without official endorsement would lead to some kind of bureaucratic problem.

Gave up in the end...but I'd love to go back.

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

From the ICA website:

China

Chinese Society of Geodesy, Photogrammetry and Cartography
Sun Baowu
State Bureau of Surveying and Mapping
9 Sanlihe Road
Beijing 100830
China

phone: +86 10 6834 6614
fax: +86 10 6831 1564
e-mail: sunbw@sbsm.gov.cn

Richard Nie

Richard Nie

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:GIS Software Engineer<br />Navigation Map/GIS/GPS
  • China

I don't know a thing about cartography, but I have studied a little astronomy. I only just discovered that cartography exists (haha) and am completely fascinated. I want to learn MOREmoremore...but I live in Beijing. My Chinese...exists, but isn't good enough yet to peruse Google.com.cn for where I might learn about cartography.

So, any suggestions? I'm posting here because it appears there is a sort of international cartographic society. Anyone know of any institutions or associations in Beijing? Or should I just wander about until I stumble across a shop that sells old maps? Chinese maps are interesting, by the way. The ones I've found are on vertical wooden slats. Any advice is appreciated. :)

中科院地理所
chinese academy of sciences
institude of geographic sciences and natural resources research
http://lib.igsnrr.ac.cn/

中国地质大学(北京)
China University of Geosciences (Beijing)
http://www.cugb.edu.cn/
GIS Programmer

Richard Nie

Richard Nie

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • China

中国地质大学
China University of Geosciences in Beijing
http://www.cugb.edu.cn/
GIS Programmer

Richard Nie

Richard Nie

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • China

China University of Geosciences in Beijing
http://www.cugb.edu.cn
GIS Programmer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->