26 replies to this topic

Claude

Claude

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • United States

my recent faves are are Goldfrapp, Deerhoof, Electrelane and EDAN.

Hmmm...The Jam, Totoise, Neutral Milk Hotel, Gilles Peterson, Peel Sessions. Where am I, the Pitchfork media chat room ? :)

Everyone here has such good goddamn taste it's making me wonder about the Discovery Channel effect. What i mean is that if you ask people what they watch out of the multitude of channels on cable, they inevitably state the Discovery Channel, which always leave me to wonder who the hell (besides me) is watching E! ?? In this case, who the hell is buying all those Ashlee Simpson records?
Platts, a div. of McGraw-Hill
www.maps.platts.com

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

Slighty off-topic but there's a DJ (Phil Jupitus) on BBC6 who's compiling a list of songs with UK placenames in the title
Songs For Swinging Cartographers! :D

How many do you know?

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

Pete Y.

Pete Y.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • United States

I recommend letting Nic Harcourt from Morning Becomes Eclectic play from 9-12 each morning Pacific time. If you don't know of the show, it comes out of KCRW in Los Angeles and you can get the simulcast over the web. You'll hear a bunch of great bands you've probably never heard of (I usually haven't), in an indie/alternative vein. You can have a separate window pop-up with the current song, and what I do is copy/paste the titles of the songs I think are cool into a text document, and when I have around 15, I download them from iTunes and make a mix. I end up with mix CDs of completely new (to me) bands every couple of months.

Other than that I recommend Beck, Boards of Canada, Godspeed! You Black Emperor, Gorillaz, Radiohead. Also Tool, especially the Lateralus CD. Anything with prominent drums keeps me thinking without distracting.

My most heartfelt recommendation goes to Ashlee Simpson, of course.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Slighty off-topic but there's a DJ (Phil Jupitus) on BBC6 who's compiling a list of songs with UK placenames in the title
Songs For Swinging Cartographers! :D

How many do you know?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only a couple. Cool list though.

He seems to have forgotten Joe Strummer's "From Willesden to Cricklewood" (Joe Strummer, ex-Clash, is another artist I would strongly recommend). One of the other visitors has already listed that one in a comment.

Nice to see Half Man Half Biscuit in there, one of my mates is a big fan of them.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

In a completely different vain, I've been stuck in a Bad Brains (80's American Hardcore/Reggae) phase for the last couple weeks...Their SST live album ws one of the first punk records I got in the late 80's and is still my favourite....

For those of you still into vinyl, CDs and Cassetts

www.gemm.com is a very cool site to find older/collectable stuff.

Claude

Claude

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • United States

Martin-Bad Brains and Manu Chao, nice! I will take this opportunity to do some boostering and recommend checking out our excellent college radio station here in Denver/Boulder...www.radio1190.org.
ps-Joel does the best world music show you'll find anywhere, Terrasonic on Saturday mornings at 10 MST
Platts, a div. of McGraw-Hill
www.maps.platts.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

Everyone here has such good goddamn taste it's making me wonder about the Discovery Channel effect. What i mean is that if you ask people what they watch out of the multitude of channels on cable, they inevitably state the Discovery Channel, which always leave me to wonder who the hell (besides me) is watching E! ?? In this case, who the hell is buying all those Ashlee Simpson records?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I don't recognize 90% of the names people mentioned, but I'm no Ashlee Simpson fan either.

I listen to "oldies" (I mean Classic) rock (Beatles, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Beach Boys, etc.), Classical (especially violin concertos, but also stuff like Carmina Burana), Ray Charles, Norah Jones, Madeleine Peyroux, BB King occasionally, some movie soundtracks, all mixed in (except for the classical music and sound tracks) on my music player, usually set to random play, with some Monty Python bits mixed in for fun.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Giving this topic a bump because Frax and I were swapping music suggestions on Twitter.

My taste has been developing a bit lately, though it's still very heavy on the "Angry Men From London" stuff. Next month I'll be seeing Simon Townshend (brother of Who-guitarist Pete Townshend) at the launch of his new album, where he will be supported by Mollie Marriott (daughter of Small Faces' frontman Steve Marriott), a few days later it's an Elliott Murphy gig (American blues/folk artist with a French backing band).

Anybody else has any suggestions to share?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

There is only one song I listen to (over and over) every day, all day long and have been for the last 12 years. I think it's the perfect song for cartographers.

Radiohead's "Everything in it's Right Place." :lol: :lol:

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

There is only one song I listen to (over and over) every day, all day long and have been for the last 12 years. I think it's the perfect song for cartographers.

Radiohead's "Everything in it's Right Place." :lol: :lol:

Great song no doubt, though, I would have to argue Death Cab for Cutie; Monday Morning "all these lines and greys define, they are the maps of our design of what began on Monday morning".

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

heath b

heath b

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:the great outdoors, bouldering, martinis, unusual graphical representation
  • United States

I fell in love with the movie Drive and the feeling that soundtrack gave me, so I created a Pandora station based solely on two songs from the soundtrack, "Nightcall" and "A Real Hero". I've been listening to it a lot lately while working on my latest projects. It's full of a lot of down-tempo electronic rock, reminiscent of the '80s.

I guess it fits well as all of my latest design work has been going "retro". But I really can't say enough good things about that movie.

Heath

Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

Hello all,,

it's quite cool to here about music - especially the one which makes you more productive.

Personally i like to hear - Le Trio Joubran - youtube][/youtube

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->