Emily Martin

Emily Martin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United Kingdom

I'm mixing info and requests here.

UK North Sea data can be downloaded from the website for the Department for Energy and Climate Change (DECC), which was previously part of the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (BERR), which was previously the Department for Trade and Industry (DTI). I do wish they'd stop changing the name :rolleyes: . The specific page you want is the Oil and Gas Section's Maps and GIS Shapefiles and select Offshore.

Norwegian North Sea data can be downloaded from the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate's Factmaps and Factpages, complete with excellent metadata.

Can anyone else provide links for the remaining countries? They are Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands.

Emily

Edited by Emily Martin, 12 August 2009 - 09:00 AM.

Emily Martin
Petroleum Geoscientist
Bournemouth, UK

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" - Albert Einstein

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi,
I worked with data for the North Sea for fuel extraction (and exploration) recently, in a project for OSPAR - I am not sure these data are publicly available on the web - I got the data I needed through government channels. It was quite messy to try to harmonize everything, especially wells/platforms.

If you have the money, you might want to investigate buying/licensing a complete database from something like IHS.

I had a lot of data for the Netherlands, but the stuff from Germany and Denmark is not too complicated (might be easier to just digitize if you can find an uptodate map image, rather than hunt for the data). If I remember correctly, it was particularly complicated to get the Danish data... The data for Netherlands was very extensive.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

Hi,

I also worked on a project for OSPAR last year. Indeed, the data I used was from different agencies. Maybe you can look at somewhere like TNO (tno.nl). I know they have data but it isn't free.

Emily Martin

Emily Martin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United Kingdom

Frax and josie, thanks for the information.

I was referring to publicly available (that is, free) data, and the links I provided are just such resources. In hindsight, it might have been a good idea to say that...

I had taken for granted the availability of UK North Sea data, having worked with it extensively, and was pleasantly surprised when I found the Norwegian equivalent. I suspected this would not be the case for all countries.

So, if anyone does find a source of publicly available North Sea petroleum data, or if the data is released at some point in the future, post the links here and share the love with the forum!

Emily
Emily Martin
Petroleum Geoscientist
Bournemouth, UK

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" - Albert Einstein

spesseh

spesseh

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Norway

Frax and josie, thanks for the information.

I was referring to publicly available (that is, free) data, and the links I provided are just such resources. In hindsight, it might have been a good idea to say that...

I had taken for granted the availability of UK North Sea data, having worked with it extensively, and was pleasantly surprised when I found the Norwegian equivalent. I suspected this would not be the case for all countries.

So, if anyone does find a source of publicly available North Sea petroleum data, or if the data is released at some point in the future, post the links here and share the love with the forum!

Emily

If you are only looking for shapefiles of Petroleum deposits, check out the Peace Research Institute Oslo's: PETRODATA.
This includes all known gas and petro deposits throughout the world.
http://www.prio.no/C...roleum-Dataset/
Andreas

Visit my Blog: http://www.gisintersect.com

Emily Martin

Emily Martin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United Kingdom

If you are only looking for shapefiles of Petroleum deposits, check out the Peace Research Institute Oslo's: PETRODATA.
This includes all known gas and petro deposits throughout the world.
http://www.prio.no/C...roleum-Dataset/

I'm always amazed at the randomness of sources we find for data. Centre for the Study of Civil War? I would never thave thought to look there.

For information, the deposits are shown at basin and sub-basin scale as 'blob' outlines with attribute information describing country, basin name, reservoir type, references, sources and assorted other info.

Thanks for the link, spesseh.
Emily Martin
Petroleum Geoscientist
Bournemouth, UK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->