12 replies to this topic

smellykev

smellykev

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Australia

I tend to have all kinds of weird and crazy thoughts run through my mind late at night after a day drinking far too much coffee....

The lastest: Converting an old bus into a mobile home/slash office..and fitting it out with a good carto printer and GIS.
In short, set up a private freelance business that enables me to travel around the country working whereever I am called to. Ie., working short term contracts for local businesses and so as a temp GIS or mapping expert, and supplementing income by freelance selling of tourist maps and the like..

thinking thinking....

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I tend to have all kinds of weird and crazy thoughts run through my mind late at night after a day drinking far too much coffee....

The lastest: Converting an old bus into a mobile home/slash office..and fitting it out with a good carto printer and GIS.
In short, set up a private freelance business that enables me to travel around the country working whereever I am called to. Ie., working short term contracts for local businesses and so as a temp GIS or mapping expert, and supplementing income by freelance selling of tourist maps and the like..

thinking thinking....

Hehe... sounds like the life for me :)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

smellykev / Hans, if you do, this is the bus for you! :D
Attached File  hippie_van.jpg   96.17KB   37 downloads
In all seriousness, in this day and age of electronic communications, is it always necessary to be on site?

DMoore

DMoore

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United States

smellykev / Hans, if you do, this is the bus for you! :D
Attached File  hippie_van.jpg   96.17KB   37 downloads
In all seriousness, in this day and age of electronic communications, is it always necessary to be on site?

I'd agree with Rudy that for most applications, it hardly seems necessary to be on site. That said I know a guy that does something similar, with more of a training or mobile GIS office (with multiple computers) focus. If you get serious, I'd suggest chatting with him about his business model and the amount of times he gets requests for on site services.

http://www.geoonthego.com/
*I don't work for or with Geo On The Go - So I'm not making a pitch for his services.*

It sounds like good work if you can get it.
Dorn Moore, GISP
Green Space GIS

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I would think a GPS rigged vehicle would be more practical to get GPS survey work. I am SURE you would also have map tasks, so that's another angle to the same end.

I drove a 74 VW Westy for years - don't recommend it unless u LOVE doing ring jobs every 500 miles.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

This has floated through my synapses as well. I was planning on outfitting a Sprinter for my GeoGO ride. You could wrap-it with NaturalEarth and have the sweetest ride on the road. The interior would look like this, but messier. <_<
Posted Image

The exterior like this, but instead of a Lear jet, there would probably be a crop-duster.
Posted Image

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

smellykev

smellykev

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Australia

This has floated through my synapses as well. I was planning on outfitting a Sprinter for my GeoGO ride. You could wrap-it with NaturalEarth and have the sweetest ride on the road. The interior would look like this, but messier. <_<
Posted Image

The exterior like this, but instead of a Lear jet, there would probably be a crop-duster.
Posted Image

does the lady come with it?? (preferably WITHOUT the baby)...

as for the kombi (VW van).... I LOVE kombis. Sadly I killed mine on a beach in north Queenland.... yeah yeah i know, what was your kombi doing on a beach?

I thought it would be romantic.... much more comfortable than a towel on the sand dunes.......

smellykev

smellykev

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Australia

Now i'm getting more idea.... the gps rigged vehicle is a great idea, but i don't fancy taking a bus up and down mountain tracks or whatever.

Thats where a GPS rigged dirt-bike comes into it. Stow it in the bus near the rear door, get my hot sexy russian side-kick (i rescued her from the mob when i was doing a tourist map in moscow) to take over the wheel as we approach our contracted destination, lower the back door and exist out on the bike to do whatever data gathering is needed. Meet up up at the caravan park later on to lounge in the onboard spa and swap spatial analysis techniques.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • United States

That's not a baby. That's a dog. :lol:
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Smellykev, I don't think you should go into babysitting as an alternative career... or dogwalking for that matter :rolleyes:

And on a slightly more serious note... How about a Knight Rider setup? Big truck, sleek sportscar that talks back... (I always thought the maps that KITT would show Michael were the coolest thing to have in a car!)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

smellykev

smellykev

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Australia

Smellykev, I don't think you should go into babysitting as an alternative career... or dogwalking for that matter :rolleyes:

And on a slightly more serious note... How about a Knight Rider setup? Big truck, sleek sportscar that talks back... (I always thought the maps that KITT would show Michael were the coolest thing to have in a car!)

thats kinda why i never got married.... not sure if i'd want a car talking back to me...

Even those talking GPS's give me the willys....

As for the baby/dog thing.... yeah, my bad... :huh:

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

The thought has crossed my mind. This is how all those 19th-century US birds eye views got made. Read the introduction to John Reps' Views and View Makers.

Did you ever follow Monk Magazine (Officially Monk: The Mobile Magazine) back in the 1990's? It was a lot of fun. Apparently they now have it as a web site.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

The thought has crossed my mind. This is how all those 19th-century US birds eye views got made. Read the introduction to John Reps' Views and View Makers.

Looks like a great book! I just found it for a steal compared to other listings. There's still some inexpensive ex-libris available...

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->