5 replies to this topic

Darren Rattai

Darren Rattai

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Canada

Hey all,

Does anyone have experience with AutoCAD Map 3D? I am currently using ESRI, but am possibly looking into changing software packages because of the amount of CAD data that our company deals with.
I am basically looking for a general overview/comparison versus alternate GIS packages like ESRI ArcGIS.

Cheers,
Darren

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Hey all,

Does anyone have experience with AutoCAD Map 3D? I am currently using ESRI, but am possibly looking into changing software packages because of the amount of CAD data that our company deals with.
I am basically looking for a general overview/comparison versus alternate GIS packages like ESRI ArcGIS.

Cheers,
Darren

Hello Darren,
I use both AutoDesk Map3d and ArcMap (arcview license), and I wouldn't replace ArcMap with AutoDesk, but have both. I know that's an added expense to keep up both licenses but if you are accustomed to ArcMap, going over to Map3d will not be easy. It's just arranged WAY differently. Not that it's bad, it's just different. How things are done of Map3d will not be intuitive. At least, it's not for me. Just me two cents worth. If you have specific questions, let me know.
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

[quote name='Esther Mandeno' date='Aug 13 2009, 03:44 PM' post='26087']
[quote name='Darren Rattai' post='26030' date='Aug 11 2009, 01:51 PM']Hey all,

Have you tried download the AutoMap 3D through the Autodesk and experiment it ? I download mine and is good for 30 days to try. I have played it around little bit and it seems there is some things to learn their software. I personally have not use it because I haven't use it and expried 30 days but thought I would share that with you. This is to help you to decided if you want to try it or not or stick with ArcGIS.

Can't hurt to try and test various software. Have you tried Quantum GIS ? it is free but it looks really good.

Good Luck

jon orchard

jon orchard

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi Darren,

I have been using Map 3D for quite a few years now, and use it primarily for CAD work, but increasingly for mapping. As a CAD package it is excellent, as it adds the flexibility of GIS data import/export/functionality to AutoCAD. So for CAD users, we can use the wealth of GIS data out there quite easily. However, as a mapping program, I find it frustrating. It has the ability to be really very good, but is let down by too many issues. For example, to do transparent fills over an image/DEM, etc, should be something fairly basic, but in Map 3D is woefully inadequate, and for some users impossible. Performance, especially when compared to say ArcGIS is poor, and overall the flexibility and control over your final output is limited in comparison to others. Saying all this, I still use it as my primary mapping software (financial constraints more than anything), so really it's a case of try it, and see if it suits your needs. If I was doing more mapping than CAD work I would go down the ArcGIS route (unfortunately I am not), but as a CAD package I think it's the best out there, but only useful for anyone who creates maps.

hope that helps . . .

Jon

gordon

gordon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi Darren,

Try out ArcGIS for AutoCAD. http://www.esri.com/...ocad/index.html

Dave73045

Dave73045

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Hey all,

Cheers,
Darren

We use both Arc (info license) and AutoCAD map 3D. The only thing I dont like about the AutoCAD product is if you are unfamiliar with CAD it takes some time getting used to. Other than that it is a fairly straight forward product. To me the maps arent as visually pleasing in the printed format, but we usually use ArcView for that. AutoCAD map is helpful in our situation because our survey data can be transfered back and forth efffortlessly, but it is nice to have both.......but the pockets must be deep.
David Dill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->