• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

You can also work with guides, including a grid (which can be tilted), and then use the constraints/guides settings.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

When I'm drawing a big downtown street grid that's all at an angle (very common in the western USA), or a campus where there's a predominant orientation, I often find it easier to tilt my source map or aerial photo to "straight," and then rotate the finished grid or buildings into place on the finished map.

It seems that the drawback of the plugin mentioned is that it wouldn't know what the dominant orientation should be. So it would allow some buildings to be at 55.7 degrees and others to be at 54.2 degrees west of north. To me it's important to have parallel streets and buildings wind up parallel.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

mrfaize

mrfaize

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • United Kingdom

When I'm drawing a big downtown street grid that's all at an angle (very common in the western USA), or a campus where there's a predominant orientation, I often find it easier to tilt my source map or aerial photo to "straight," and then rotate the finished grid or buildings into place on the finished map.

It seems that the drawback of the plugin mentioned is that it wouldn't know what the dominant orientation should be. So it would allow some buildings to be at 55.7 degrees and others to be at 54.2 degrees west of north. To me it's important to have parallel streets and buildings wind up parallel.

OK that's a valid point. We don't get many downtown street grid over here and not on the area I was drawing. But like the idea an keep it in mind for other projects. The free plugin from the Swiss can align the buildings to the road but it is only PC based and is unlikely to come to the Mac.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->